[comp.sys.tandy] The best Tandy for the buck

MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET (02/06/90)

I would like to know which model tandy is the best for my needs and I would
appreciate any advice on purchasing or looking at a tandy computer.
I need:
At least 256k expandable to 640k
VGA or M-CGA
3 1/4 drive would be nice
I basically need decent graphics and sound capabilities as it will mainly
be used for games,MIDI and Telecommunications.
                                                  Thanks,
                                                  Thomas

garylee@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) (02/07/90)

In article <3483MV010320@NDSUVM1> MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>I would like to know which model tandy is the best for my needs and I would
>appreciate any advice on purchasing or looking at a tandy computer.
>I need:
>At least 256k expandable to 640k
>VGA or M-CGA
>3 1/4 drive would be nice
>I basically need decent graphics and sound capabilities as it will mainly
>be used for games,MIDI and Telecommunications.
>                                                  Thanks,
>                                                  Thomas

I've seen my local stores copy of the new(er) computer catalog, and I'd
suggest that you'd look at the 2500 XL.

It's an AT class w/1Meg ram, 10MHz, 16-Bit VGA, and SmartDrive IDE support.

There should be one available in each computer center, since I've been told
that the Centers are planning an "open house" of sorts on Thursday AM (8th).

Gary

daveb@i88.isc.com (Dave Burton) (02/08/90)

In article <3483MV010320@NDSUVM1> MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
|I would like to know which model tandy is the best for my needs and I would
|appreciate any advice on purchasing or looking at a tandy computer.
|I need:
|At least 256k expandable to 640k
|VGA or M-CGA
|3 1/4 drive would be nice
|I basically need decent graphics and sound capabilities as it will mainly
|be used for games,MIDI and Telecommunications.
|                                                  Thanks,
|                                                  Thomas

Well, what are your needs?

What type of games? Cartridge based? Floppy based? Hard disk based?
Tape (it's got to still exist somewhere)? What to do with MIDI?
Composition? Filtering? Misc processing? What type of "Telecommunications"?
BBS? Long-haul networks? Anything else? Future expansion?

BTW:
There is a world of difference between VGA and CGA/M-CGA.
CGA is not known for "decent graphics" in today's market.
Although 3 1/4" drives probably exist, I'm sure you mean 3 1/2".
These "needs" presuppose PC hardware; there are other machines
that can handle your "needs", as well.
--
Dave Burton
uunet!ism780c!laidbak!daveb

djh9381@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.J. Halko) (02/08/90)

> games, Midi, and Telecummunication...

 Well, A CoCo3 would get you by.. although the graphics are only 640x192x4
 color out of a palette of 64....

If you are looking for an MSDos computer, I wouldn't touch anything but a
1000TL/2 or a 1000TL... The CoCo3 is just as fast as the SL and HX and SL/2,
so driving a VGA card would be pretty slow at 8 MHz without the 286 on board.
(I have been selling Tandy computers now for 3 years... going on 4.) Actually,
a good 4 MHz Z-80 will do well against an 8 MHz 8088... but that is my personal
optinion after selling the Model 4's and using them for Pascal compiling...

Seriously, go for the TL/2.. the VGA card is not really needed since the
Tandy Extended CGA is supported by quite a few games now on the market and
will do 640x200x16 colors maximum... with a Stereo board (Game Blaster from
Shack), games are really impressive!

If I were going to buy a computer based solely upon Games, Midi, and Telecom,
I would go between a CoCo3 and an SL/2. If you want the extra speed (which is
really needed now with the new games out for IBM compatables... note they say
( MHz or higher recommended on the packages) and the extra resolution graphics
are needed, shoot for the TL/2 or the TL... if you don't mind the PC keyboard,
the TX is down to $799 for the base unit with a 286, 3.5" drive, serial,
parallel, 5 slots (I think) with 640x200x4 colors (CoCo3 resoltuion) and 320x
200x16 colors (CoCo3 resoltion again.)

David J. Halko