[comp.sys.tandy] Bug in Cshow8.0?

JRA102@psuvm.psu.edu (Jim Achuff) (02/06/90)

I've been starting up the latest version of cshow on my Tandy 1000 with the #j
option which is supposed to enable the PCjr/Tandy graphics modes, but when I
go to view a gif file in one of the two extra modes, everything is put on the
top line of the screen. Well, does someone have a fix, or is this a genuine bug
or what? Please e-mail me, and I will post any helpful information to
comp.graphics in about a week. Thanks in advance!
-------
    First you must believe - then you can understand  :  __  /\      :
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=: |  ||  ||  | :
  Jim Achuff                :  JRA102@PSUVM.PSU.EDU   : |__||__ |  | :
  125 Beaver Hall           :   JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET   : |      ||  | :
  University Park, PA 16802 :JRA102%PSUVM@PSUVAX1.UUCP: |   |  ||__| :
  (814)-862-6812            : JRA102%PSUVM@CS.PSU.EDU :      \/      :

earl@trsvax.UUCP (02/12/90)

/* ---------- "Bug in Cshow8.0?" ---------- */
I've been starting up the latest version of cshow on my Tandy 1000 with the #j
option which is supposed to enable the PCjr/Tandy graphics modes, but when I
go to view a gif file in one of the two extra modes, everything is put on the
top line of the screen. Well, does someone have a fix, or is this a genuine bug
or what? Please e-mail me, and I will post any helpful information to
comp.graphics in about a week. Thanks in advance!
    First you must believe - then you can understand  :  __  /\      :
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=: |  ||  ||  | :
  Jim Achuff                :  JRA102@PSUVM.PSU.EDU   : |__||__ |  | :
  125 Beaver Hall           :   JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET   : |      ||  | :
  University Park, PA 16802 :JRA102%PSUVM@PSUVAX1.UUCP: |   |  ||__| :
  (814)-862-6812            : JRA102%PSUVM@CS.PSU.EDU :      \/      :

    For this answer, I assume you have a Tandy 1000 SL or TL machine.

    Your problem likely stems from having the "video/Interrupt Jumper" set
    incorrectly for your application. This jumper is located on the motherboard
    of the machine. If the jumper is set pins E2-E3 you are basically "IBM"
    conmpatible, if the jumper is on E3-E4 then you are IBM PC-JR or Tandy
    16 color mode compatible. This allows software to utilize Interrupt 5 for
    video graphics in the 16 color modes. Of course, certain hard drives or
    network boards could have conflicts with this jumper setting.

    You should be able to find information about the location of this jumper
    in your owner's manual in the Troubleshooting section, under Video problems.
     Plus you can see the jumper detailed in the board layout diagram too.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way. >

						Earl W. Bollinger
						@ <trsvax!earl>

JRA102@psuvm.psu.edu (Jim Achuff) (02/16/90)

In article <193300197@trsvax>, earl@trsvax.UUCP says:

>/* ---------- "Bug in Cshow8.0?" ---------- */

(misc stuff written by me deleted...)

>    For this answer, I assume you have a Tandy 1000 SL or TL machine.

   Wrong assumption - it's a TX that has never had a problems with previos
   versions of cshow...

>    Your problem likely stems from having the "video/Interrupt Jumper" set
>    incorrectly for your application. This jumper is located on the
>    motherboard of the machine. If the jumper is set pins E2-E3 you are
>    basically "IBM" conmpatible, if the jumper is on E3-E4 then you are
>    IBM PC-JR or Tandy 16 color mode compatible. This allows software to
>    utilize Interrupt 5 for video graphics in the 16 color modes...

 (more stuff deleted...)

    Nope, that jumper has never been touched, and by the way, it doesn't
    just disable the extended CGA modes, it disables the on-board CGA
    adapter altogether...

><This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
> construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
> Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
> in  any way. >
>
>                                                Earl W. Bollinger
>                                                @ <trsvax!earl>

I certainly hope they wouldn't...I'd have to laugh if a salesperson gave
me that info...anyway, I don't have anything against Earl, and I appreciate
his input, just make sure of yourself nextime...BTW I requested that replies
be emailed, not posted...oh well. Thanks for trying...

I, and others have come to the conclusion that the bug is definately software,
related, because when viewing a picture larger than 320x200 on Cshow mode Q(?)
you can see the whole thing when you pan accross the picture...the problem is
with pictures that are 320x200 - no panning...oh well.

I am in the process of sending a letter to the authors requesting a fix.

      Thanks all,
-------

garylee@yukon.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) (02/16/90)

In article <193300197@trsvax> earl@trsvax.UUCP writes:

>/* ---------- "Bug in Cshow8.0?" ---------- */
>I've been starting up the latest version of cshow on my Tandy 1000 with the #j
>option which is supposed to enable the PCjr/Tandy graphics modes, but when I
>go to view a gif file in one of the two extra modes, everything is put on the
>top line of the screen. Well, does someone have a fix, or is this a genuine bug

[stuff deleted]

>  Jim Achuff                :  JRA102@PSUVM.PSU.EDU   : |__||__ |  | :
>  125 Beaver Hall           :   JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET   : |      ||  | :
>  University Park, PA 16802 :JRA102%PSUVM@PSUVAX1.UUCP: |   |  ||__| :
>  (814)-862-6812            : JRA102%PSUVM@CS.PSU.EDU :      \/      :
>
>    For this answer, I assume you have a Tandy 1000 SL or TL machine.
>
>    Your problem likely stems from having the "video/Interrupt Jumper" set

[more stuff gone]

><This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
> construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
> Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
> in  any way. >
>
>						Earl W. Bollinger
>						@ <trsvax!earl>

Just for info, Bob Berry (the author) is aware of the bug. He will be
releasing a new version (8.1?) to rectify the problem. This bug was discovered
on CI$ too, and that's where he hangs out in the Graphics Support Forum.

Gary