From MAILER-DAEMON@fear.weitek.com Mon Mar  5 04:34:31 1990
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 90 03:30:48 EST
From: fear!MAILER-DAEMON@weitek.com (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu

550 hemingway@Weitek.COM... User unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
From: "Bob Powell" <rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu>
To: hemingway@weitek.com
Cc: rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re:  Kermit
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 90 03:30:48 EST

You wrote:

>I don't know.  That particular version of kermit has given me funny
>error messages before, such as "Not enough memory to run" in an 896k
>machine.  Maybe the copy I gave you got corrupted.  Try running
>chkdsk on the floppy. This sometimes shows when there's trouble.

I tried chkdsk /v, and found all three files (KERMIT.EXE, KERMIT.DOC,
and KERMPC.HLP) to have "allocation error, size adjusted"
errors.  Exactly what that error is, I don't know.  I looked
in the DOS manual, and it said that chkdsk can correct that
error.  So, I ran chkdsk /f.  When I checked the directory,
KERMIT.DOC had gone from 298,951 bytes to 598,016.  KERMIT.EXE
went from 44,288 to 90,112, and KERMPC.HLP went from just
under 5000 to just over 10,000.  When I first got the disk,
I checked the directory, and it looked like the total disk
capacity would only have been about 360K, so I thought you
had reformatted the disk to "PC" format (360K).  After chkdsk /f,
though, it's back to looking like a 720K disk.

Anyway, now I try to run kermit (just by typing "KERMIT <CR>",
right? :) ), and I get "Program too big to fit in memory."
A < 95K program won't fit in 256K?  Hmmm...  I'll go back
and check the documentation (maybe the "new" larger KERMIT.DOC
file has something the previous "small" version didn't).

>If all else fails, send me another disk and we'll try it again.

I may wind up doing just that.  I'll try to hack it out, though,
before resorting to such action.

Thanks again!  I hope I'm not being a major bother or anything....

Bob

Sorry to use bandwidth for this, but I'm getting desperate! :)
Anybody have any suggestions?

Bob