[comp.sys.tandy] 4 pin DIN to 25D cable needed.

v8803330@cc.nu.oz (03/02/90)

I recently purchased a hayes AT compatable modem for my CoCo 3 only to find that
we can not buy the RS-232C program pak to connect it. I then looked at one of my
old programs (color compaq) and found that the printer port could be used. I
looked up the tandy catalogue to find if they had the 4 pin DIN to 25D cable
and was pleased to see they did. However on trying to purchase one I found
that no-one made such a cable anymore. Could someone out there give me some
ideas on how to go about making one of these cables, or give any ideas on how
the connection has been made without this cable.

pbrown@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Brown) (03/03/90)

I don't see why you can't buy a rs232 pak.  But advertisers in
"Rainbow" magazine sell both copies of the rs232 pak, and 4pinto25pin cables
pbrown@ocf.berkeley.edu

PSYMP@latvax8.lat.oz (03/04/90)

In article <1990Mar2.205525.12531@agate.berkeley.edu>, pbrown@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Brown) writes:
> I don't see why you can't buy a rs232 pak.  But advertisers in
> "Rainbow" magazine sell both copies of the rs232 pak, and 4pinto25pin cables
> pbrown@ocf.berkeley.edu

Ha! You obviously don't know about Tandy Australia then!

For example, when Tandy USA were flogging off the last of their bar code
readers, they were selling them for US$40 each.  Tandy Australia (owned
by InterTan Inc.) currently have 2 such bar code readers left in the whole
of Victoria - maybe 5 in the whole of Australia - and they flog them off
at AU$190 each!!

Ordering software/hardware from the states is often a hassle. What with
customs and other expenses. Last time I ordered something from the states
was when I wanted a double-density adapter for my TRS-80 Model I. I paid
another AU$50 just to get it through customs! (For readers who are not
conversant with Model I hardware, this item is about the size of two
cigarette packets)

Anyhow, support for Tandy products can sometimes be bad!

While on the subject, does anyone know of any U.S. distributors selling
any Model 100 software/hardware?

all replies to the net [comp.sys.tandy] please.

Mike

v8803330@cc.nu.oz (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar2.205525.12531@agate.berkeley.edu>, pbrown@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Brown) writes:
> I don't see why you can't buy a rs232 pak.  But advertisers in
> "Rainbow" magazine sell both copies of the rs232 pak, and 4pinto25pin cables
> pbrown@ocf.berkeley.edu

	As I come from Australia we can no longer buy any CoCo hardwear. We have
had to wait 6 months for memory expansion to come in from overseas.
	Do you have an address for rainbow?

pbrown@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Brown) (03/07/90)

To all of you who don't know what Rainbow Mmagazine is, or can7t get it:
Rainbow is for CcoCo's 1,2, and 3.  Subscription info, Etc, to:
  Rainbow
  The Falsoft Building
  P.O. Box 385
  Prospect, KY 40059-9989
  USA

  It hasa both RSDOS, and OS9 articles in it (although the OS9 stuff doesn't
  usually get very technical)

    As for RS232 paks, and cables (25-25, and 4-25 [specify modem or printer])
    They can both be purchasd from orion technologies, PO 63196, Wichita,
    KS 67203 (316) 946-0440, plus other stuff

    ALSO!
    the infamous -=  1 meg =- upgrades for OS9 are available from
    CRC inc. (514) 967-0195
    11 Boul. Des Laurentides, Laval, Quebec, Canada H7g 2s3  (comes with drivers
      and other nifty stuff is available from them, also)

Philip Brown    pbrown@ocf.berkeley.edu  (yeah, I know it says another machine
at the top.  doesn't matter)