[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 1000TX 128k upgrade.

rasmusse@boulder.Colorado.EDU (RASMUSSEN PETER BONHAM) (03/08/90)

Is there any benefit to adding the 128k upgrade to the 1000TX?

I tried dropping four samsung 64k x 4 drams into the sockets, removing
the appropriate jumper to enable them, and watching for some increased
system memory that the TX was supposed to give back in terms of
video memory space.  This didn't happen.  The boot rom says I have
768k, but DOS takes the same amount of space.

The tech. ref. manual seems to say that this bank of drams resides
above 1 meg.  Does this mean it acts just like extended (expanded?) memory?
Can I really use this, and if so, where can a get the driver for it?

Thanks...
Pete Rasmussen.
Dept. of ECE, University of Colorado, Boulder.

garylee@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) (03/09/90)

In article <17894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> rasmusse@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (RASMUSSEN PETER BONHAM) writes:
>Is there any benefit to adding the 128k upgrade to the 1000TX?
>The tech. ref. manual seems to say that this bank of drams resides
>above 1 meg.  Does this mean it acts just like extended (expanded?) memory?
>Can I really use this, and if so, where can a get the driver for it?
>
>Thanks...
>Pete Rasmussen.
>Dept. of ECE, University of Colorado, Boulder.

Pete,

When you have an out-of-the-box TX it will steal about 16k of DOS memory for
video purposes. The last 128k is probly buffered through the video controller,
thus causing reduced performance. Before 80-Micro went belly-up, they reported
a 300% increase in screen writing performance, when using the extra memory.

And no, you cannot use it for extended or expanded memory. I suspect that the
768k reporting is how Tandy decided to indicate that the extra memory for the
video is installed.

Gary