[comp.sys.tandy] Putting HD in 1000SX

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (03/19/90)

I have a 10-meg Miniscribe HD, came out of an IBM PC-XT. I would like
to put in in a Tandy 1000SX (just to get some use out of it), if possible.
My problem: the drive comes with a full-length HD controller. Can I
substitute a plain-ol ST506 HD controller?.
THE problem: Tandy's #$%@:&* short slots in the SX.
Will appreciate any & all help/suggestions/advice.
Bob M., Penn State-Harrisburg

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (03/21/90)

In article <90077.122728RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I have a 10-meg Miniscribe HD, came out of an IBM PC-XT. I would like
>to put in in a Tandy 1000SX (just to get some use out of it), if possible.
>My problem: the drive comes with a full-length HD controller. Can I
>substitute a plain-ol ST506 HD controller?.
>THE problem: Tandy's #$%@:&* short slots in the SX.
>Will appreciate any & all help/suggestions/advice.
>Bob M., Penn State-Harrisburg

  I don't think you should have any real problems. Just make sure to set
DIP Switch #2 to OFF in the computer. This disconnects the internal IRQ5
from the BUS (standard IBM controllers use IRQ5 for HD, Tandy uses IRQ2 for
HD and IRQ5 for 60Hz screen refresh.) The SX/TX should be able to use
normal PC controller cards if you have the internal IRQ5 disconnected from
the bus. The 1000/1000A will require a board modified to run on IRQ2. The
TL/SL run the PC standard as a default.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM