[comp.sys.tandy] Model 4 and Discover

jfowler@ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (04/09/90)

While browsing through the April 1990 issue of Discover magazine, I
came across an interesting photo on p. 24.  The photo consists of
characters from a computer screen superimposed over a picture of a
vole (a small creature resembling a rat) in a maze.  What
caught my eye was that the font used in the computer screen shot
looks exactly like that of a TRS-80 Model 4 in 80-column mode,
probably in BASIC (because there is a "Ready" at the bottom of
the screen).  The accompanying article refers to Steven Gaulin of
the University of Pittsburgh, and the photo was taken by Bill Redic.
I'm wondering if anybody out there knows whether it really was a
Model 4, and if so, was it being used in the University of
Pittsburgh, the Discover offices, or just by Bill Redic?

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu

marks@hutch.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) (04/10/90)

jfowler@ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) writes:

> While browsing through the April 1990 issue of Discover magazine, I
> came across an interesting photo on p. 24.  The photo consists of
> characters from a computer screen superimposed over a picture of a
> vole (a small creature resembling a rat) in a maze.  What
> caught my eye was that the font used in the computer screen shot
> looks exactly like that of a TRS-80 Model 4 in 80-column mode,
> probably in BASIC (because there is a "Ready" at the bottom of
> the screen).  [...]

Well, since I don't have a copy of Discover, I don't exactly know what
the picture is like, but it kind of reminds me of a videotape I saw on
how to use AutoCad.  The tape had the AutoCad screen with a video of the
person's hands at the keyboard superimposed over the AutoCad screen.
This was accomplished with an Amiga computer (I don't know wich) as they
are ideally set up for just such an application.   Apparently they have
a video-input port for doing these superimposing things.

Just a thought.....
-----
Mark Schaffer     ...!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!cattie!marks
                  16448591@vuvaxcom.BITNET

dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) (04/11/90)

In article <aR9DH1w161w@cattie.UUCP+  cattie!marks@hutch.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) writes:
+ This was accomplished with an Amiga computer (I don't know wich) as they
+ are ideally set up for just such an application.   Apparently they have
+ a video-input port for doing these superimposing things.

   Only if you buy a genlock card.

--
David L. Newton                 |           uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton
(414) 524-7343 (work)           |              dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu