[comp.sys.tandy] TRS80 model 4 terminal software

bobp@cbnewsl.att.com (robert.phillips) (05/08/90)

Does anyone know of a good terminal emulation program for the
TRS-80 model 4.  I have Omniterm Plus (ver 4.10) and neither its
VT-100 nor its VT-52 modes seem to work with either VI or EMACS.
I pampered, and I just can't write code with ed or ex.

Thanks!!!!

Rob Phillips
AT&T BL
190 River Rd.
Summit, NJ 07901
201-522-6359
attunix!bobp
--
Rob Phillips
AT&T BL

jfowler@ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (05/10/90)

In article <1990May8.113943.3416@cbnewsl.att.com> bobp@cbnewsl.att.com (robert.phillips) writes:
>Does anyone know of a good terminal emulation program for the
>TRS-80 model 4.  I have Omniterm Plus (ver 4.10) and neither its
>VT-100 nor its VT-52 modes seem to work with either VI or EMACS.
>I pampered, and I just can't write code with ed or ex.

I tend to use Model 4 Kermit, which includes a Heithkit-19 emulator
with it (terminal type h19, which is vt52-compatible).  It's not
perfect (on VMS, SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE doesn't get it, but
fortunately, I don't often use VMS), but it seems to work with vi.

Mel Patrick has a terminal program out called FastTerm II, which has
VT-100 emulation.  I have an old version, and the emulation isn't
too good in it, but supposedly he has improved it.  It's available
on diskette for $15, but I don't have the address handy, because he
moved recently.

Either of these programs is available on a number of BBS systems.  I
think one of the older versions of FT II is available via ftp from
xanth.cs.odu.edu as well.

Good luck!

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu.

Mention of the programs above does not imply endorsement by the
author or the Regents of the University of California.