[comp.sys.tandy] You'll never believe -- TRS80 MOD I Nostalgia

goldstein@arecibo.aero.org (05/09/90)

In article <90126.215254RFM@psuvm.psu.edu>, RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes...
>This ad makes me homesick.  I cna remember back ('79) when I brought
>my TRS80 home....

> I thought I had POWER!
>How far we have come....  Bob M., PSU-Harrisburg.

Some of us haven't gotten anywhere it seems... After working all day on a
mongo full-blown 33MHz 386 machine and VAXes and Suns, I go home to my good
old trusty still-limping-along Mod I.

After all, if you write in compact Z80 code rather than using some
inefficient compiler, you'll find that 48k is really not that ... uh ...
well, never mind.

___Samuel___
_________I_claim_and_accept_sole_responsibility_for_the_above._SjG.____________
<goldstein@aerospace.aero.org> | "I should have been a pair of ragged claws,
<goldstein@arecibo.aero.org>   |  Scuttling across the floors of silent seas."
(213) 336-3592 (9-5, M-F)      |     --   J. Alfred Prufrock (T. S. Eliot)

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (05/10/90)

In article <72719@aerospace.AERO.ORG> goldstein@arecibo.aero.org writes:
>Some of us haven't gotten anywhere it seems... After working all day on a
>mongo full-blown 33MHz 386 machine and VAXes and Suns, I go home to my good
>old trusty still-limping-along Mod I.
>
>After all, if you write in compact Z80 code rather than using some
>inefficient compiler, you'll find that 48k is really not that ... uh ...
>well, never mind.

I'm sure impressed. Think about how well things like Anitek's LeScript
and the old Visicalc used to (I guess still do) run on those 1.77 mhz
machines. I used to run an LNW-80 before I got a PC (I held out until
1987) - wow! power is running programs written for a 1.77 Mhz machine
at 4 Mhz, no wait states with shadow RAM, and EMS!

Good to hear that the old Z80 flame still burns!

(actually I have a collection of ancient computers now .......

  Two semi-functional LNW-80 (super Model I trs-80s)
  One Exidy Sorcerer (not sure whether it works)
  One Rockwell AIM-65!!!!!!!!!!!

tim