[comp.sys.tandy] 5.25 drives for the tandy 6000/16

harter@ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) (05/25/90)

Hello,

Does anybody know if there are 5.25 inch drives available for the tandy 6000/16?
I have my eye on a used one, but I don't see an easy way to move software
on to it. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

| Ron Harter                           | tongue tied and twisted just an earth|
| Ferranti International Controls      | bound misfit .. I                    |
| harter@ficc.ferranti.com             |          David Gilmour               |

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/26/90)

In article <O+O3548@xds7.ferranti.com> harter@ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) writes:

>Hello,
>
>Does anybody know if there are 5.25 inch drives available for the tandy 6000/16?
>I have my eye on a used one, but I don't see an easy way to move software
>on to it. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

The Tandy 6000 uses standard st506 type drives with up to 1024 cyl
and 8 heads.  You do need the Tandy controllers one in the computer,
and an external controller that normally comes with the Tandy
primary hard disk.

The 16/6000 systems support up to 4 hard disks under Xenix
(TRSDOS and CP/M too I believe).  I have a system here with one
70Meg, a 35 Meg and two 15 Megs in a single box.

Getting software on the hard disks depends on your operating
system.  Xenix doesn't have any problem.  Under TRSDOS you have
to have at least version 4.2 (That may not the current release,
it has been years since I used it).
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (05/29/90)

<>
B>Does anybody know if there are 5.25 inch drives available for the
B>tandy 6000/16?

I assume you are talking about floppy drives.  The answer is 'yes', you
can use 5.25" drives in place of the old 8" ones (or at the same time).
5.25" media is much more reliable and about 1/3rd the cost of 8" media.

I have sent the instructions via email.  If you do not receive them
in a couple of days, send me some mail with a uucp-style path (%s!%s!%s...)
as some of our neighboring mail routers gag on domains-routings.

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...hal6000!trsvax!uhclem