[comp.sys.tandy] CD-ROM Encycolpedia

mh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Matthew M Holtz) (06/07/90)

From vn Thu Jun  7 10:22:41 1990
Subject: Re: Tandy Deskmate
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy

From article <193300219@trsvax>, by reyn@trsvax.UUCP:

> The CD-ROM encyclopedia you mention is the Compton's Multi-Media
> Encyclopedia.  It does not use the DeskMate GUI, Tandy entered into an
> agreement with the Brittanica people to configure a 2500 with a CD-ROM
> drive built in and bundle the two together.
> (Brittanica also publishes Compton's)

This is an educational package, available to school groups and such. You can
buy an external CD-Rom Drive for any computer. Tandy's price is $995.00.

> I've seen the Encyclopedia demonstrated.  It is definitely a lot of fun,
> with pictures and sound.  For example, you get to hear Nixon say "I am not
> a crook" rather than just reading his resignation speech.

I have also, its a real nice package that has extensive indexing.

> My only disappointment would be with the color scheme, whoever chose the
> colors is obsessed with blue.  This may be to insure that the screens will
> look proper on VGA monochrome, but that's just a guess.

This didn't bother me too much, with the VGA graphics, it looked real nice.

> As for price, I'm not sure what the 2500+Encyclopedia costs, but the
> demonstrator said the CD itself was about $900.00.  This sounds expensive
> until you price the paper equivalent.

The price for the software itself is $395.00, with upgrade free for 10 years.
Not a bad deal when compared to the "paper equivalent."

As my kids are getting ready to start school, my wife wants to invest in a
Encyclopedia set. IMHO, I think that the software has more advantages.

Math Holtz