[comp.sys.tandy] adding memory to a tandy1000

beech@ms.uky.edu (Wayne Beech) (06/14/90)

Hello,

I was just given a Tandy 1000 which has 256K of memory.  I was wanting to add
more memory to it and when I opened the machine up there is a board in slot 1
that appears to be a memory board that is only half-populated.  There does
not seem to be any memory on the mother board unless its under the drives and/or
power supply(i didnt look that close).  My questions are what are the "standard"
memory configurations when you purchase a 1000?  What is the maximum amount of
memory you can place on the boards that come with the computer?  What is the
absolute max. memory the machine can support? What memory chips does the machine
require and what is a good place to purchase these chips? ( i assume the answer
to the last question is not radio shack but i could be wrong).  Any comments
and/or suggestions on a memory upgrade would be appreciated.

thank you
wayne beech

UUCP  : ukma!beech
BITNET: beech@ukma
DOMAIN: beech@ms.uky.edu

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (06/14/90)

In article <15454@s.ms.uky.edu> beech@ms.uky.edu (Wayne Beech) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I was just given a Tandy 1000 which has 256K of memory.  I was wanting to add
>more memory to it and when I opened the machine up there is a board in slot 1
>that appears to be a memory board that is only half-populated.  There does
>not seem to be any memory on the mother board unless its under the drives and/or
>power supply(i didnt look that close).  My questions are what are the "standard"
>memory configurations when you purchase a 1000?

The Original Model 1000 came with 128k on the motherboard

> What is the maximum amount of
>memory you can place on the boards that come with the computer?

128k is all that goes on the motherboard of a 1000, or 1000A

1000SX can go to 640k on the motherboard

> What is the
>absolute max. memory the machine can support?

640k (less 16k of the 640k for video)

tim