[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model 1 TRS-DOS

tj@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Thomas E. Jones) (06/16/90)

This is a long shot, but anyone out there ever use a TRS-80 Model 1?

If so, did any of you use it with Disk Drives?

If so (now I'm really pushing it) anyone use TRS-DOS?

I'm trying to get an older Model 1 that has the expansion box and 3
floppy drives to boot, but it just comes up with BASIC all the time.
This system worked a few days ago (when I got it) but I don't know
how to boot it.  Upon power up, it just asks for the amount of memory,
then goes into Level II BASIC.  Is there a command you must enter to
start up the TRS-DOS?  How did the disk systems ever work?  Also, the
system appears just the same weather the expansion box is on or off.
Maybe the expansion box has a bad connection.  Anyone have any clues
out there how the old father-of-the-micro use to work?  If someone
could just get me started with a couple commands, I could get
going from there.

				Thomas E. Jones
				tj@xn.ll.mit.edu
				(617)981-5093 (work)
				(617)924-8326 (home)

--
tj@xn.ll.mit.edu or tj@ll-xn.arpa          (one of these should work)
Thomas E. Jones, home (617) 924-8326 work (617) 981-5093

cs163wau@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Gary H) (06/16/90)

In article <1900@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> tj@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Thomas E. Jones) writes:
>I'm trying to get an older Model 1 that has the expansion box and 3
>floppy drives to boot, but it just comes up with BASIC all the time.
>This system worked a few days ago (when I got it) but I don't know
>how to boot it.  Upon power up, it just asks for the amount of memory,
>then goes into Level II BASIC.  Is there a command you must enter to
>start up the TRS-DOS?  How did the disk systems ever work?  Also, the
>system appears just the same weather the expansion box is on or off.
>Maybe the expansion box has a bad connection.  Anyone have any clues
>out there how the old father-of-the-micro use to work?  If someone
>could just get me started with a couple commands, I could get
>going from there.

Use an eraser on the connector that goes from the expansion interface to the
cpu (keyboard).  The model I's connectors are not gold plated (they're tin
plated) so they oxidize.  When they do, then the cpu things it has no connect-
ion to the expansion interface (it happened to me a couple of times).

Try it...

Gary

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (06/16/90)

In article <1900@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, tj@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Thomas E. Jones) writes...
>I'm trying to get an older Model 1 that has the expansion box and 3
>floppy drives to boot, but it just comes up with BASIC all the time.

I would carefully clean the card edge on the computer and the expansion
box with a clean pencil eraser to remove any oxide. This connection was
somewhat of a problem on the Model 1. Many of us added a header to the card
edge that was gold plated to make a more reliable connection.

						Good Luck!

                      +-----------------------------------+
                      |         Charles R. Meyer          |
                      |                                   |
                      | Internet: crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu |
                      | Bitnet:   crmeyer@voodoo          |
                      | HEPnet:   voodoo::crmeyer         |
                      +-----------------------------------+

rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Bob Powell) (06/17/90)

In article <1900@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> tj@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Thomas E. Jones) writes:

>I'm trying to get an older Model 1 that has the expansion box and 3
>floppy drives to boot, but it just comes up with BASIC all the time.
>This system worked a few days ago (when I got it) but I don't know
>how to boot it.  Upon power up, it just asks for the amount of memory,
>then goes into Level II BASIC.  Is there a command you must enter to
>start up the TRS-DOS?  How did the disk systems ever work?  Also, the
>system appears just the same weather the expansion box is on or off.
>Maybe the expansion box has a bad connection.  Anyone have any clues
>out there how the old father-of-the-micro use to work?  If someone
>could just get me started with a couple commands, I could get
>going from there.

First, make sure the connection is good between the expansion
interface and the keyboard.  Without that connection, the
processor never knows the extra memory, drives, and/or RS232
are there.

Second, you're not accidentally holding the BREAK key when you
power on, are you?  That's the way to force the system into
BASIC on startup, even with a disk system and the drives turned
on.

The Model I is a classic system indeed (hey, it even has a
detached keyboard! :) ), and I wish you all the best in
getting it going.

Bob
--
rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu  					    Air:  PP-SEL
AMA # 541283 				   		   Road:  750 Ninja

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (06/17/90)

In article <1900@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> tj@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Thomas E. Jones) writes:
>This is a long shot, but anyone out there ever use a TRS-80 Model 1?

Geeez... the past has come back......
I ran a Model I until 1987.

>If so, did any of you use it with Disk Drives?

Yup

>If so (now I'm really pushing it) anyone use TRS-DOS?

Yup

>I'm trying to get an older Model 1 that has the expansion box and 3
>floppy drives to boot, but it just comes up with BASIC all the time.

To boot a standard Model I trs-80, the entire system should be powered on
a system disk inserted in drive 0 and then push the reset button on the
back of the keyboard/cpu unit. the disk drives should click and clack a bit
and the screen should read :

RADIO SHACK TRS-80 TRSDOS VERSION 2.3
TRSDOS READY

at which point, you are at the DOS prompt. Even in its earlier versions,
trsdos is fully comparable (not compatible) to later doses like msdos, and
quite a bit more friendly than cp/m. here are a list of some commands

DIR :drive number      (ex. DIR :1 <enter>     print file directory on drive :1
COPY file1 file2
BACKUP drive1 drive2

the file name convention is different from msdos, where msdos looks like

A:\filename.ext

trsdos looks like

filename/ext:1

to run disk basic type

BASIC

at the TRSDOS READY prompt

>This system worked a few days ago (when I got it) but I don't know
>how to boot it.

Remember to power up the disk drives and expansion box *BEFORE* the keyboard!

> Upon power up, it just asks for the amount of memory,
>then goes into Level II BASIC.

Which is normal if the cpu can not find the disk controller on powerup.
The expansion box must be turned on first.

> Is there a command you must enter to
>start up the TRS-DOS?

No command to start trsdos, must press reset button to reboot

> How did the disk systems ever work?

pretty well. TRSDOS, which is not sophisticated by NEWDOS/80, LDOS, DOSPLUS
standards, is much more of an operating system than Apple DOS 3.3 or
cp/m :-)   Early models were prone to spontaneous reboots and unreliable
operation if the power was dirty (need external power line filter), some
had a "buffered" cable to the expansion box.

> Also, the
>system appears just the same weather the expansion box is on or off.

Again, check power-on sequence

>Maybe the expansion box has a bad connection.  Anyone have any clues
>out there how the old father-of-the-micro use to work?  If someone
>could just get me started with a couple commands, I could get
>going from there.
>
>				Thomas E. Jones

tim