[comp.sys.tandy] Sound from the CoCo-II with Basic09

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (07/12/90)

I have a friend who has a Color Computer II and has just discovered
OS9 and Basic09.  (I have a Non-CoCo OS9 system so I can give some
advice to him, but not to this question!)

He wants to write Basic09 programs that will talk to the sound making
capabilities of both the internal sound chip and the Sound Speech
Cartridge.  Does anyone have the addresses of these things handy?
Also, are there any funny tricks to accessing them from Basi09, or
is it pretty much straightforward POKE-ing?

Any information will help, thank you.

----
Keith Ellsworth, PBS

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (07/13/90)

In article <9527.269c4a2d@pbs.org> kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:
>I have a friend who has a Color Computer II and has just discovered
>OS9 and Basic09.  (I have a Non-CoCo OS9 system so I can give some
>advice to him, but not to this question!)
>
>He wants to write Basic09 programs that will talk to the sound making
>capabilities of both the internal sound chip and the Sound Speech
>Cartridge.  Does anyone have the addresses of these things handy?
>Also, are there any funny tricks to accessing them from Basi09, or
>is it pretty much straightforward POKE-ing?
>
>Any information will help, thank you.
>
>----
>Keith Ellsworth, PBS

I would like any such info too. (for coco II or coco 3, & any version of
OS-9)

Also, does anyone have a working driver or patches for the Speach/sound
pak and Level 2.

Thanks

Scott

Buttered bread always lands   *   Scott McGee
butter side down! (Unless     *   email : smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu
it sticks to the ceiling!)    *
      Would YOU mistake these opinions as anyone's but my own?

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (07/13/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Re: Turbo debugger does not like my system
In article <A+T$A_=@rpi.edu> joefritz@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) writes:
>[stuff omitted...]
>The problem:
>  C> TD                        (Works like it should)
>  C> TD                        (This time funny thing occur)
>
>Upon TD's (second) boot, the screen fills up with pretty colors and
>random characters.  After the program starts up, the screen is normal,
>and it runs without a problem.
>
>  C> TC                        (same funny things happen as above)
>
>At this point, several times I got a message to this effect: Unable to
>load swap file, or (when I tried to quit) cannot find c:\command.com.
>I reboot my system.  Once I got a boot error from the HD, once I didn't.
>In either case, when I got my system up, I found a directory had been
>*trashed* (In one case, it was the root, ouch).  My theory: It seems that

   I am replying to this posting to verify Mr. Fritz's problem with TD.  I
   too have a Tandy 1000TX with almost exactly the same configuration as
   the [deleted] outline above.  The problem is identical to one I very
   recently experienced, with the screen full of colors and trashed
   directories on the hard drive.

   If anyone else has experience with this problem, or can offer solutions,
   I would be interested in hearing from them, either on the net or by
   personal reply.

Bob Beauchaine               Gravity is a myth.  The world sucks.
Tektronix ICO
(503) 627-6086

se@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Sina Eatemadi) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul12.135709.8232@hellgate.utah.edu> smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) writes:
>In article <9527.269c4a2d@pbs.org> kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:
>>I have a friend who has a Color Computer II and has just discovered
>>OS9 and Basic09.  (I have a Non-CoCo OS9 system so I can give some
>>advice to him, but not to this question!)
>>
>>He wants to write Basic09 programs that will talk to the sound making
>>capabilities of both the internal sound chip and the Sound Speech
>>Cartridge.  Does anyone have the addresses of these things handy?
>>Also, are there any funny tricks to accessing them from Basi09, or
>>is it pretty much straightforward POKE-ing?
>
>I would like any such info too. (for coco II or coco 3, & any version of
>OS-9)
>
>Also, does anyone have a working driver or patches for the Speach/sound
>pak and Level 2.

The CoCo's possess no "sound chip" per se, just about everything's handled by
the CPU.  Therefore, the sound capabilities are limited - especially under OS-9
where cpu-intensive tasks such as sound can't survive along side the operating
system.  Under Basic09, one can get a beep by sending a <cntrl> G to term.
( shell display 7)
Also, one can achieve better effects by using the SS.Tone syscall.  Here you
can specify volume, duration, and pitch.  Check the manual or get back to me
if you need examples.

If you have a Speech/Sound pak you're in luck.  Tandy/MicroWare released both
a driver and descriptor to run the Speech/Sound Pak (S/SP).  All one needs to
do is redirect standard ASCII text to the descriptor.
( list talk_to_me.txt > /ssp )
It's pretty amazing to see (hear) when you have several things going at once.

Regarding poking sound - this will get you into trouble quick under such a
well-behaved os as OS-9.  Use the setstat calls for sound and the /ssp
descriptor for speech....

check comp.os.os9 for more details or the listserver at pucc.princeton.edu.

later,
chris