[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model 4P info

dll@ut-emx.UUCP (Don Loflin) (07/18/90)

I need some technical info on the trs-80 model 4 P, the portable
version of the model 4.  I'm interested primarily in the video and
keyboard circuitry and software.  Can anyone point me to a source?

Thanks

 Don Loflin
 dll@emx.utexas.edu		...!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!dll

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (07/18/90)

In article <34219@ut-emx.UUCP> dll@ut-emx.UUCP (Don Loflin) writes:
>I need some technical info on the trs-80 model 4 P, the portable
>version of the model 4.  I'm interested primarily in the video and
>keyboard circuitry and software.  Can anyone point me to a source?

Yop. Just you go down to your "friendly" Radio Schlock Computer Center, or,
heck, just go to the nearest Schlock franchise store.

Ask 'em to order item number 26-1080, which is the service manual for the
4p and 4p gate array computers.

I _assume_ it's still available.

Hope so.

				May the wind be at your back,

			"Peace is hell." -- Skyler
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

valsee@qat.UUCP (07/20/90)

> In article <34219@ut-emx.UUCP> dll@ut-emx.UUCP (Don Loflin) writes:
> >I need some technical info on the trs-80 model 4 P, the portable
> >version of the model 4.  I'm interested primarily in the video and
> >keyboard circuitry and software.  Can anyone point me to a source?
>
> Yop. Just you go down to your "friendly" Radio Schlock Computer Center, or,
> heck, just go to the nearest Schlock franchise store.
>
> Ask 'em to order item number 26-1080, which is the service manual for the
> 4p and 4p gate array computers.
>
> I _assume_ it's still available.

Alternatively, you may contact Tandy National Parts directly via
their toll-free customer service line (1-800-442-2425) and order:

	Part #:     MS-2601080
	Catalog #:  26-1080

The manual should still be available at this time.

(This information is being provided by an individual and should not be
construed as being provided by Tandy Corporation/Radio Shack.)

Valerie See 		....texbell!techsup!qat!valsee
			valsee@qat.lonestar.ORG

rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu (Rob Healey) (07/22/90)

In article <1990Jul19.212039.10680@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>>I need some technical info on the trs-80 model 4 P, the portable
>>version of the model 4.  I'm interested primarily in the video and
>>keyboard circuitry and software.  Can anyone point me to a source?
>Radio shack should still have tech manuals for that machine...
>
> in model 3 mode, video ram starts at 15360 and goes to 16383.  i
>don't know if video ram is normally accessable by applications in model 4
>mode.

	More precisly:
	In Model 3 mode: Video is mapped from 0x3C00-0x3FFF
			 Keyboard is mapped 0x3800-0x3BFF
		     The video area is a 64x16 area, one byte is either
		     an ascii character or a graphics character if the 7
		     bit is set and the ALT character set is not enabled.

	In model 4 mode use the system calls to access the keyboard and
	memory, the OS plays bank switching games and you don't want to
	confuse it. Actually, in Model 3 mode you should also go through
	the OS, except for high speed graphics and fast full screen
	updates direct access doesn't really gain you much.

	The Model 4/4p Technical Reference Manual is Cat. #26-2119
	if you can still get one. It has all the hardware dirt on the
	system and also explains all the OS interfaces and system calls.

		-Rob