[comp.sys.tandy] Use for 768k in 1000TX?

panders@hubcap.clemson.edu (Paul F. Anderson) (08/01/90)

I recently upgraded my Tandy 1000TX to 768k. I did this to provide
a true 640k base memory.
Only 32k of the just installed 128k is actually used by most (all)
PC programs.

Is it possible to use the remaining 96k in a usefull manner?
Disk cache, spooler, etc..?

				thanks in advance
				PFA

panders@hubcap.clemson.edu

jim.duffield@f646.n250.z1.fidonet.org (jim duffield) (08/08/90)

 p> I recently upgraded my Tandy 1000TX to 768k. I did this to provide
 p> a true 640k base memory.
 p> Only 32k of the just installed 128k is actually used by most (all)
 p> PC programs.
 p>
 p> Is it possible to use the remaining 96k in a usefull manner?
 p> Disk cache, spooler, etc..?

       Actually, the memory is mainly used by your video card.  That's the
only real use for the extended memory.  If you want some real memory to be
used by DOS, you have to get a expensoion card and software to drive it, such
as MicroSoft Windows Himem.Sys.  Other than that, there's no real way to use
that memory unless you find the address of the memory and write your own
software to re-route it into a DOS-functioning memory partition.  Hope this
helps...

ttyl,

Jim.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.00
 * Origin: Blakstar Systems, Toronto, Canada: (416)924-3177: (1:250/646)