[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model I Disk Drive

qbarnes@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Quentin Barnes) (09/05/90)

Does anyone recall how to correctly connect a double sided 5.25" drive
to a Model I?

I have NEWDOS/80 2.0 and a single-sided drive as drive 0.

And yes, I still use it.

Quentin Barnes
qbarnes@urbana.mcd.mot.com
..!uiucuxc!udc!qbarnes

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (09/06/90)

In article <1370@urbana.mcd.mot.com> qbarnes@urbana.mcd.mot.com
(Quentin Barnes) writes:
>Does anyone recall how to correctly connect a double sided 5.25" drive
>to a Model I?
>I have NEWDOS/80 2.0 and a single-sided drive as drive 0.
>And yes, I still use it.

Back in my Model I days (with the same DOS), my 2-sided drives were confi-
gured to respond as 2 drives, one to each side of the disk. I don't recall
how the drive was diddled to make it do that, but the first drive thought it
was 0 and 1; the second thought it was 2 and 3.

Was that a nuisance? Of course! But you see, I didn't know it! Up 'till then,
I'd been using the old RS tape drive for file storage. You talk nuisance....

Best o' luck.

						Z-80 FOREVER,

   "If caving in the Guads is like heaven, caving in Lechuguilla is like
	having sex with the gods when you get there."
				-- Dan Legnini, Windy City Grotto, 1990
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu