[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 6000 floppy

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (09/06/90)

     Further investigation:

     Typing "drive" gives nowait and seekrate=118. Setting the drive to
wait and seekrate=0 makes it work again, but it gets reset to these values
at each boot.

     The "drive" command appears to write /xenix, but there is no reference
to either "drive" or /xenix in init. From this I must assume there is some
other method of setting these values (or inadvertentaly randomizing them?)

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (09/06/90)

In article <144@rwing.UUCP> nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) writes:
:
:     Further investigation:
:
:     Typing "drive" gives nowait and seekrate=118. Setting the drive to
:wait and seekrate=0 makes it work again, but it gets reset to these values
:at each boot.
:
:     The "drive" command appears to write /xenix, but there is no reference
:to either "drive" or /xenix in init. From this I must assume there is some
:other method of setting these values (or inadvertentaly randomizing them?)

When Xenix is originally installed on the Tandy 6K/16 systems it
asks if you are running a Model II.  If you answer yes it sets
the drive seek rates differently since the Model II drives ran
continuously rather than only while being used.  You could
probably look into the initialization code on the boot floppy to
determine what is happening and do the same thing after the
system is installed.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (09/07/90)

In article <5656@thebes.Thalatta.COM>, campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

> When Xenix is originally installed on the Tandy 6K/16 systems it
> asks if you are running a Model II.  If you answer yes it sets
> the drive seek rates differently since the Model II drives ran
> continuously rather than only while being used.  You could
> probably look into the initialization code on the boot floppy to
> determine what is happening and do the same thing after the
> system is installed.

     The "drive" command can be used to set things back to normal. However
the original init makes no reference to /etc/drive or /xenix so I am
curious how it accomplishes this. I suspect there is a lower overhead
way to do it then to call drive and a less dangerous method than to write
kernal address space.

     Thanks for the suggestion though. As a temporary work-around I have
in my /etc/rc file: "/etc/drive wait rate=0", but I'd like that not to be
necessary so this could be a "pop-in" replacement for the original init.