[comp.sys.tandy] CoCo/PC code converter "XENOCOPY"?

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/10/90)

Hello:

I am looking for a 6809 CoCo to PC (8086) code converter.  Vice versa too.
It is for a co-worker here at the Institute.  I hear from him that a program
"XENOCOPY" may be used for this.  Can any one verify this?  Or help us out?
Thanks for any poop.

Ronn

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (09/11/90)

In article <15384.26eb8258@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>Hello:
>
>I am looking for a 6809 CoCo to PC (8086) code converter.  Vice versa too.
>It is for a co-worker here at the Institute.  I hear from him that a program
>"XENOCOPY" may be used for this.  Can any one verify this?  Or help us out?
>Thanks for any poop.
>
>Ronn

Ronn, there are several program around that will copy a text file from a coco
disk to a pc disk but that only helps with TEXT files. Due to the tremendous
differences between 6809 and 8086 machine code (not to mention likely/possible
hardware differences!) I don't think there is any way to write a program that
will convert 6809 (binary) code to 8086 code. The only way to convert coco
programs to pc programs is to take C or Basic source code, convert to the
other disk format and attempt to recompile it. C shouldn't be TOO hard and
simple Basic code can probably fiddled enought to get it to work, although,
I wouldn't even bother with a big basic program unless you know both machines
pretty well and peeks and pokes are totally non-compatible.

If what you need is just to transfer text, however, then yes there are such
programs.

Scott

Buttered bread always lands   *   Scott McGee
butter side down! (Unless     *   email : smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu
it sticks to the ceiling!)    *
      Would YOU mistake these opinions as anyone's but my own?