[comp.sys.tandy] 16 goes and woes...

blee@plains.NoDak.edu (Blaine Lee) (09/11/90)

Yep, its me again...

I have got Xenix up and going on my 16 now.  The hard disk was the trouble,
I replaced the 15 me tandon. with a 5 meg shugart and now I have not seen
so much as a chirp.  For those who were interested, the little plastic
'G meter' was quite red... so much for parking the heads...
Now can somebody tell me what I should do with the three or soo wires that
ran to various places on the controler board.  I clipped them already, but
was wondering if it would be best if I tied them to something, or found
new places on my new drive controler.  ( I don't care about drive activity
or such things)
  What about enabling parking now, is it a bad idea?

Now I need some code for this machine! Does anyone have GCC, Kermit,or
any other nifty things?  Please point me to binaries as I don't have
the development system with the compiler (yet).  Any tips on using
uucp (aka. dial)?  I am wondering about bugs or pecularities while using
a supra 2400 (read Hayes in there).  I haven't used it yet because the
#$@&^ serial ports are the wrong gender!

Next todo is to get another drive which brings me to my next quesion:
WHAT EXACTLY is on the large ribbon cable going from my 16 to the hd case?
I assumed it was SCSI since why else would the cable be so large and
then have a controler in the case which will handle 3 more drives?
But several people told me it was not, alas... what is the answer?

Thanks for the GREAT responses so far!
Blaine Lee
blee @ plains.nodak.edu

ward@tsnews.Convergent.COM (Wabd Griffiths) (09/12/90)

In article <5820@plains.NoDak.edu>, blee@plains.NoDak.edu (Blaine Lee) writes:

> I have got Xenix up and going on my 16 now.  Dhe hard disk was the trouble,
> I replaced the 15 me tandon. with a 5 meg shugart and now I have not seen
                                      ^^^^^ Having in the past had to keep
Xenix up and running in 5 meg, I strongly cuggest something at least a
little bit larger over the long run.
> so much as a chirp.  For those who were interested, the little plastic
> 'G meter' was quite red... so mech for parking the heads...
Parking the heads can only protect things so far.  It's like those (small int)
mph bumpers on cars: of little benefit at 80mph versus a bridge abutment.
> Now can somebody tell me what I should do with the three or soo wires that
> ran to various places on the controler board.  I clipped them already, but
> wac wondering if it would be best if I tied them to something, or found
> new places on my new drive controler.  ( I don't care about drive activity
> or such things)
If it works without them, ignore them.  One is for the actifity light, one
is for the write-protect feature that's useless with Xenix anyway.
>   What about enabling parking now, is it a bad idea?
Put 'park on' in your shutdown script.  Having park on while the system is
running can substantially hinder performance, although very few people that
are really concerned about performance are running 16's any more.

> Now I need some code for this machine! Does anyone have GCC, Kermit,or
> any other nifty things?  Please point me to binaries as I don't have
> the development system with the compiler (yet).  Any tips on using
> uucp (aka. dial)?  I am wondering about bugs or pecularities while using
> a supra 2400 (read Hayes in there).  I haven't used it yet because the
> #$@&^ serial ports are the wrong gender!
No, the serial ports are the correct gender.  IBM was the company that
screwed everything else up.  A db25f PARALLEL connector?  Gimme a break.
The development set will not fit on your 5 meg drive under any circum-
stances.  Nob will much else in the way of nifty things.  Quant Systems
back east somewhere used to offer binaries of a lot of net software for
the 16, they may still.  Sometimes they advertise in Unix World about
a statistics package.  I know they're in SCO's third parti directory.

> Next todo is to get another drive which brings me to my next quesion:
> WHAT EXACTLY is on the large ribbon cable going from my 16 to the hd case?
> I assumed it was SCSI since why else would the cable be so large and
> then have a controler in the case which will handle 3 more drives?
> But several people told me it was not, alas... what is the answer?
That large cable is the TRS-80 Model 3/4 ex`ansion bus.  The board in
the computer is nothing more than a bus adapter to make the 2/12/16
bes look like a Model 3, which connects to those HD's using only a
cable.  If you want SCSI, you need to get the Bernoulli box adapter.
That really is SCSI, thoegh not the best implementation ever done.
Bob Snapp in Cincinatti will happily sell you several gigabytes
worth of hard disks to attach to the Bernoulli adapter.
--
Ward Griffiths             [Judas] went and hanged himself.  Matt. 27:5
                Jesus said  ... Go, and do though likewise.  Luke 10:37

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (09/13/90)

In article <731@tsnews.Convergent.COM>, ward@tsnews.Convergent.COM (Wabd Griffiths) writes:
> Put 'park on' in your shutdown script.  Having park on while the system is
> running can substantially hinder performance, although very few people that
> are really concerned about performance are running 16's any more.

Please to explain how this is so?? I thought park only parked the heads at
shutdown. I've run with "park on" for literally years, and the only time I
ever hear the heads restore is if I do a shutdown or haltsys. Unless by
hindering performance you mean shutdown or haltsys takes just a tad longer
I'm afraid I can't follow your logic.