[comp.sys.tandy] Adding Hard Drive to 1000EX

jakg1190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J. 'Priapus' Kmiecik) (10/11/90)

I have an old Tandy 1000EX with the memory expansion board (640K), the
RS232 card, and a 720 3.5" drive and 360K 5.25" drive.  I am running MS-DOS 3.3.

I would like to add a hard drive to this computer as cheaply as possible.
(Note: the key word in the previous sentence is "cheaply" since I would like
to get by with this computer only for a short time until I can obtain something
more substantial.)

Obviously, the inexpensive hard drive controllers for the XTs or the Hard Cards
won't fit in the 1000EX's "PLUS" slot.

My question is:

Is there available (or can I make) an adaptor from the PLUS slot to an XT slot
and will this simple modification allow a typical hard drive controller/drive
for an XT work in the EX?  Or is there a hard drive made specifically for the
PLUS-type slot that will run in an EX?

Oh, for the convenience of a hard drive!  Thanks to all who respond.

Joe Kmiecik                                  "There is only one thing worse
E-mail: jakg1190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu             than being talked about, and
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign    that is not being talked about."

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.212425.14604@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jakg1190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J. 'Priapus' Kmiecik) writes:
>My question is:
>
>Is there available (or can I make) an adaptor from the PLUS slot to an XT slot
>and will this simple modification allow a typical hard drive controller/drive
>for an XT work in the EX?  Or is there a hard drive made specifically for the
>PLUS-type slot that will run in an EX?
>
>Oh, for the convenience of a hard drive!  Thanks to all who respond.

 There is an adapter that maps the PLUS slot of the EX to a standard PC/XT
 bus.  I bought one a few years back when I purchased a modem for my TX, but
 the modem has the PLUS adapter, while my TX has the PC bus.  It worked for
 three years without a flaw.  The downside: the adapter has to connect to the
 side of the PLUS compatible card, so when inserted into the machine, the new
 card + adapter takes up 1 1/2 slots.

 You can get the adapter at any Radio Shack store or computer center.

 Bob Beauchaine
 bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.212425.14604@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jakg1190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J. 'Priapus' Kmiecik) writes:
>I have an old Tandy 1000EX with the memory expansion board (640K), the
>RS232 card, and a 720 3.5" drive and 360K 5.25" drive.  I am running MS-DOS 3.3.
>
>I would like to add a hard drive to this computer as cheaply as possible.

  Sorry I forgot to mention it in my last post:  Watch out.  Make sure you
  get a hard drive that is Tandy compatible.  I bought mine from Card Drives
  International (30 Meg. hard card).  Not all hard drives will work in a
  Tandy computer.  Unfortunately, you will have to pay extra for the Tandy
  compatible.

  Bob Beauchaine
  bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (10/11/90)

The only 'compatibility' issue is that some Tandy 1000 machines (all older)
do NOT have IRQ5 available.  In that case the next choice is IRQ2.  If you
get a controller that supports IRQ selections, it should work.  If it doesn't
then I would consider the controller more 'incompatible' than the 1000 EVER
might be considered.

Mike Yetsko

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (10/14/90)

In article <6020@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) writes:
>In article <1990Oct10.212425.14604@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jakg1190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J. 'Priapus' Kmiecik) writes:
>>Is there available (or can I make) an adaptor from the PLUS slot to an XT slot
> There is an adapter that maps the PLUS slot of the EX to a standard PC/XT
> bus.  I bought one a few years back when I purchased a modem for my TX, but
> the modem has the PLUS adapter, while my TX has the PC bus.  It worked for
> three years without a flaw.  The downside: the adapter has to connect to the
> side of the PLUS compatible card, so when inserted into the machine, the new
> card + adapter takes up 1 1/2 slots.

  You have it backwards. Mr Kmiecik wants to turn a PLUS into a PC slot,
which doesn't exist. You are talking about the opposite, using a PLUS card
in a PC slot.
  I have a serial port in my SX mounted on an adapter card ($15). It only
uses up one slot. Maybe your modem has alot of tall components on it?

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM