[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 1000RL

ncpjmw@brahms.amd.com (Mike Wincn) (11/05/90)

My parents are interested in buying a Tandy 1000RL for general
filing and correspondence, and came to me for information.

The trouble is, I don't know a damned thing about a 1000RL or anything
else about Tandy products.

Can anyone in this group fill me in?  Thanks in advance.

Mike Wincn 	ncpjmw@brahms.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156  DISCLAIMER:  I speak for myself unless noted otherwise.

JAP131@psuvm.psu.edu (John Pelna) (11/05/90)

Ah, yes, the 1000RL (Real Lame)

    It's fine if you don't like expansion (except for a modem)
    or if you're a clueless user who doesn't know what a dos
    prompt means...

But seriously, if they don't care about future expansion or paying
    more than what they should from their local R.S. tell them to get
    it.  If you feel like helping them in making their decision you
    can save quite a bit of $$$ by getting a different computer or
    if they really like the RL, by getting it a bit cheaper mail-order
    then by all means help them to do so.

-John

 "When my manager first showed me the RL, I got sick to my stomach..."
 Disclaimer: I used to work for R.S., but not anymore, therefore
             my opinions <> R.S. opinions.  And don't forget your
             free battery this month. :-)

ncpjmw@brahms.amd.com (Mike Wincn) (11/06/90)

In article <90309.002830JAP131@psuvm.psu.edu> JAP131@psuvm.psu.edu (John Pelna) writes:
>Ah, yes, the 1000RL (Real Lame)

And now for the bottom line:

	R/S is offering keyboard, monitor (probably mono), printer, cpu
	*NO* hard disk, *ONE* FDD for $1200 (in Arizona).

Sounds high-priced and not very useful for future growth.  Comments?

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (11/06/90)

> My parents are interested in buying a Tandy 1000RL for general
> filing and correspondence, and came to me for information.
>
> The trouble is, I don't know a damned thing about a 1000RL or anything
> else about Tandy products.
>
> Can anyone in this group fill me in?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike Wincn 	ncpjmw@brahms.AMD.COM
> (408) 749-3156  DISCLAIMER:  I speak for myself unless noted otherwise.

Like all Tandy 1000 machines, the RL should be fully populated with
main memory PLUS the expansion memory so the video adaptor doesn't use
part of main memory. Sound odd? It did to me when I found out about it.
A program I wrote garbled the screen when loading an overlay (it landed in
the memory video was using), then hung when it wrote to the screen (over-
writing the overlay). VERY amusing. Three weeks later. :-(

Since you obviously live in the Santa Clara Valley (408 areacode), might
I suggest going to Fry's? A very nice turbo XT with video adaptor, monitor,
floppy, hard disk, etc. should cost less than the RL.

Unless they are going to be using software which will take advantage of
the special video modes or the nice sound hardware R.S. built into the
1000 series, I'm afraid I can't see any benefit to getting locked into a
non-expandable system.

The world may feel free to flame as much as they want, I survived porting
software to the 1000 series. After that, nothing hurts. (I'm probobly dead).

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com

ncpjmw@brahms.amd.com (Mike Wincn) (11/07/90)

In article <35652@cup.portal.com> ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) writes:
>Since you obviously live in the Santa Clara Valley (408 areacode), might
>I suggest going to Fry's? A very nice turbo XT with video adaptor, monitor,
>floppy, hard disk, etc. should cost less than the RL.

Agreed.  I figure they'll be a lot better off with something I can put
together from ads in MicroTimes and/or at Fry's.

Thanks for the comments.