[comp.sys.tandy] For sale: Model 16 computer

michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) (11/12/90)

For sale:

A Trs-80 model 16. This is a xenix machine.

1 meg of memory.
68000 processor.
2 1.25 meg floppies
1 80meg hard drive.

Full Xenix system (Development, nroff, troff, etc.)
(Includes both V7 and Sys3.)

Asking $750 or best offer.

Also includes about 100 or more floppies (most blank)
plus two full dumps of prior systems.

You will get the system installed from floppy, in a
pristine state.

(System can be expanded with another 3 standard st-502
drives (max of 80meg each). Memory can be expanded,
but extra memory can only be used by the swapper).

		Michael
michael@stb.info.com
--
		Michael
michael@stb.info.com denwa!stb!michael anes.ucla.edu!stb!michael

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov11.235720.12839@stb.info.com>, michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) writes:

> For sale:
>
> A Trs-80 model 16. This is a xenix machine.
>
> 1 meg of memory.
> 68000 processor.
> 2 1.25 meg floppies
> 1 80meg hard drive.

     Stuff Deleted...
       .
       .
       .
> (System can be expanded with another 3 standard st-502
> drives (max of 80meg each). Memory can be expanded,
> but extra memory can only be used by the swapper).

     Unless you've modified your disk controller (by replacing the WD1010
with a WD2010 and applying a patch to diskutil), the largest drive you can
put on there is 1024 cylinders, 8 heads, which is approximately 71 megs,
but by the time you take out space for replacement tracks, boot and diagnostic
track, superblock, inodes, and possibly swap space, your down to even less.

     Memory can be expanded and used as real memory (I've got a 6000 running
with 4 megs of main memory), but requires an MMU upgrade. Two things that
are going to limit your expansion though are card slots and power supply.
The 16 has one slot left after the basic stuff that's required just to run,
and the power supply could be heaftier.

     But.. a by-the-way, I've got a 16 with two 8-megs (8 inch controller
definitely less desirable than the 5-1/4 inch controller due to the better
availability of 5-1/4 inch drives) for $250, otherwise equipped pretty much
as the above machine except no big supply of floppies.

     I'm selling the 16 because I'm getting another 6000 which has more
card slots and easier access to the cards.

     This machine has the 8 inch controller, two 8 meg hard drives, two
8 inch floppies, 8 Mhz MC68000 with the latest PAL's so it can run
(and is running) 3.02.00 Xenix. Another minus, I don't have the extra
set of doc's to sell with this machine because Monty has them (are you
still gonna need them since you're selling your boxes)?

     Send mail if you're interested to nanook@eskimo.uucp... I'm also
interested in hearing from anybody who's into the guts of these machines,
or uses them and plans on continuing to use them.

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (11/13/90)

Quantum Q2080 drives will 'drop in' if you have the old 8Meg HD units.  Just
limit them to the 1024 cylinder limit.  They will also consume less power, and
be MUCH more reliable than the Shugart.  I NEVER had a problem with the
stepper on the 2080 units getting lost.  The 8Meg units would get lost
(although to be fair only infreguently) once I put a cap across the power
leads to the stepper control.  (A Tandy Tech Tip!)

Q2080 drives were expensive, I paid almost $3K for the first one I dropped
in, then saw a couple at flea markets gouing for under $400.  The Q2040
drives were going used much less.

Mike Yetsko
N1DVJ

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (11/14/90)

In article <YETSKO.90Nov13093907@interlan.interlan.com> yetsko@interlan.interlan.com writes:
>Quantum Q2080 drives will 'drop in' if you have the old 8Meg HD units.  Just

A line has to be run to line 5 (I think - it's been a while) of the data cable
from the write protect switch (yellow contact) to pull it high to enable writing
of the HD.  I used these in the old "sir-alan", and they were very reliable
if very noisy.  I've seen them in Computer Hot Line for $250 each recently.
They were also quite fast, benchmarked at about 80% of the speed of the Tandy
CDC 71MB drive.

The 8" controller would handle more than 1024 cylinders, and for some
versions of XENIX a company in Pittsburgh provided a revised formatter
that formatted the entire drive (the 2080 formats to 61MB as it has 7
heads, not 8 with 1024 cylinders).  This required modifying the device
drivers with adb; I know it worked as I used to log into a system with
71MB on a single Q2080, but I never tried it.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408