[comp.sys.tandy] tandy model 12 problems

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (11/22/90)

my model 12 has developed what seems to be a power supply problem...

one day i went to power up the machine, and all of the lights on the
front (disk drive led, power on light, etc) began to flicker, and the
power supply made a clicking noise.  modern troubleshooting techniques
says this is the result of a short on one leg of the power supply, but
the question is where is it??

before i tear the machine apart down to the frame, what i need to know
is what is the common cause of this problem??  (ie. weak spot in
the design, as i don't like dissecting machines any more than i have
to.)

i'm going to have a big problem if i can't get this machine working
because my entire cp/m archive is on dsdd p&t disks, which seem to be
unreadable in every other machine i've found.  (except, of course, another
model 12.)

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov21.230715.7952@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>my model 12 has developed what seems to be a power supply problem...
>
>one day i went to power up the machine, and all of the lights on the
>front (disk drive led, power on light, etc) began to flicker, and the
>power supply made a clicking noise.  modern troubleshooting techniques
>says this is the result of a short on one leg of the power supply, but
>the question is where is it??

The power supply is kaput.  I have had this happen 3 times on 16's
and 6000s.

It starts up, senses the problem, and shuts down, and does it all
over again.

I alayws just got a new PS. Na'tl part will sell them.   It's a
pain to get to though.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP