[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 1000TX 2MB memory board

up4@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/04/90)

       I recently came across 2MB of free memory for my 1000TX.  Unfortunately
I don't have a compatible card to put it on.  I found a XT 2MB card in the
forrows of an old computer chassis at work, but of course, I can put at most an
8" card in the TX's box.  I plan on one day moving the motherboard to a new
box which would allow me to use full sized cards, but I won't be able to get
to that until this summer.  I was wondering if anyone out there had a TX
compatable card they would be willing to sell, or if they knew where I could
get one fairly cheap.  It seems like such a waste to leave this memory lying
around in my desk drawer, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on this
either.  I will be upgrading to either a SUN or a NeXT sometime in the fall,
and I would rather not dump a lot more money into this Tandy.
       Why build the box?  A pet project I've been planning for a while.
       Anyway, if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.  Please
respond via e-mail to:

       up4@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
or     bhinkle@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu

       Thanks,

       William S. Hinkle
       Network Analyst
       Laboratory of Plasma Studies
       Cornell University

bhinkle@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu          If I'm wrong, I'll let you know.
up4@vax5.cit.cornell.edu               If I'm right, I'll let you tell me.
up4@cornella.bitnet                    Oh, and don't be afraid to flatter me.

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.165250.1330@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> up4@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>       I recently came across 2MB of free memory for my 1000TX.  Unfortunately
>I don't have a compatible card to put it on.  I found a XT 2MB card in the
>forrows of an old computer chassis at work, but of course, I can put at most an
>8" card in the TX's box.

I'm pretty sure that your 1000TX has an 80286 processor. Particularly for
running applications like Windows 3.0 an extra 2Mb of EXTENDED memory would
be nice. However, the boards that were made for the Tandy 1000 series
(I had a PBJ) were only LIM EMS 3.2 EXPANDED Memory (Windows can use
LIM 4.0 memory in Real Mode - can't do much with LIM 3.2 memory).... So.
I'd have to say that you are out of luck  - (I upgraded to a 386 clone
last fall).

tim

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (12/07/90)

How about TL memory upgrade? I was told that it can be extended to 786K,
and to 1MB with additional board (expensive). How about expansion memory?