[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 6000 speedup mod problems

jc@joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) (12/05/90)

I recently got a copy of a Tandy 6000 hardware mod to boost it up to 12 MHz
(thanks nanook).  (It has since appeared on the 6000 archive at
plains.nodak.edu, if anyone wants it).

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.  I made the mod in such a way that
I can back it off by putting the old parts back in their sockets and
moving two jumpers.  Everything's still rosy at 8 MHz with the old parts,
but it dies a horrible death with the new parts at either 8 or 12 (not right
away at 8, but it dies all the same).  I tried replacing the new parts with
different ones to no avail.  I have a genuine 68000L12 and 1 meg of 100ns
RAM on a stock Tandy board, so they should be okay.

Anyone have this mod working?  Anyone know what's wrong?  Anyone know where
the mod originated so I can talk to the author?

Thanks,
   Jim

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec5.063423.23164@eng.ufl.edu>, jc@joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) writes:
> I recently got a copy of a Tandy 6000 hardware mod to boost it up to 12 MHz
> (thanks nanook).  (It has since appeared on the 6000 archive at
> plains.nodak.edu, if anyone wants it).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.

     I trust you got the complete text of the article, including the
suggestion that you try this on a spare CPU board, and not use it on
something that is important. For what it's worth I was unable to get
it to work as well, even using 80ns RAM and changing the delay of used
on the memory board. The text of the article made it sound like it would
work on some not on others.

     Since I have gotten the MMU upgrade and a 4-meg card I gave up on
this mod as it would be too difficult to replace the RAM on the 4-meg
card (all soldered).