[comp.sys.tandy] File transfer software for TRS-80 model 100?

harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (12/12/90)

Hello, net
I have a TRS-80 model 100, no cassette player, no software.
I also have a Sparc with which I am able to talk 7-bit ASCII.
For some perverse reason, my null modem cable is not working (data from
the computer to the TRS only, not the other way round), so I can only
get 7-bit data into the machine.
Is there any knowledge about where I can get some file transfer software
that can get 8-bit files across? I REALLY need those extra characters....

                   Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Harald.Alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no
C=no;PRMD=uninett;O=sintef;OU=elab-runit;S=alvestrand;G=harald
+47 7 59 70 94

yetsko@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mike Yetsko) (12/14/90)

Sigea Systems in MASS sells a program for PCs that emulates a Model 100 for
text editing and communications.  One of the enhancements is XMODEM support.
To go with that, they have a small program you load into your 100 and now
the tellecommunications menu supports XMODEM as well.

Mike Yetsko

yetsko@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mike Yetsko) (12/14/90)

BTW, a lot of communications problems with the 100 are because it is 5-volt
only on the RS-232, and some other devices have series resistors to limit RFI
and protect from voltage extremes.  Either buffer the signal from the
100 to generate true +/- 12v levels, or find another serial port that it work
with.  Tandy had this problem with their DC-1200 modem and the 100s.

Mike Yetsko

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (12/16/90)

In article <YETSKO.90Dec14100907@celtic.InterLan.COM> yetsko@interlan.interlan.com writes:
>BTW, a lot of communications problems with the 100 are because it is 5-volt
>only on the RS-232, and some other devices have series resistors to limit RFI
>and protect from voltage extremes.  Either buffer the signal from the
>100 to generate true +/- 12v levels, or find another serial port that it work
>with.  Tandy had this problem with their DC-1200 modem and the 100s.

   i dunno about you, but my 100 puts out +/- 12 on the serial port.

   ever heard of the MAX232 chip??

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!

cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (My Name) (12/17/90)

yetsko@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mike Yetsko) writes:

|>BTW, a lot of communications problems with the 100 are because it is 5-volt
|>only on the RS-232,

I know it is not so on the later model; the 102.  I've measured the voltages and
they come
to a respectable 12-14 volts.  Pulling too much current from the RS-232 port
does tend to
cause the 5-volt supply in the unit to fold up.  Shorting the RS-232 on my 102
has led to
memory loss (mind you, the batteries were a bit marginal at the time; the
battery warning
light was on; so I've learnt not to do this!).

Regards...
James Cameron

cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec12.123645.16070@ugle.unit.no>, harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no writes:
> Hello, net
> I have a TRS-80 model 100, no cassette player, no software.
> that can get 8-bit files across? I REALLY need those extra characters....

I have a Tandy 100 and xmodem software ... works just fine on anything
I have used it with (but not on Sun).  It has at times made a dandy
test 'meter' for setting up other machines!  Only thing, can't send
break although modifications can be made.

Charles Loader

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec16.065138.28200@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:

>      ever heard of the MAX232 chip??

Well, the 100 was introduced long before I ever heard of the MAX232.  Since
then I HAVE heard of the MAX232, and the MAX233, and I've used them in
designs.

While it is no big deal to hang a 555, or even use the processor(oh my god!)
to generate +/- 12, but my recollection is the 100 was +/-5v, not +/- 12.

This should make no difference, as the spec specifically states the port
only has to maintain +/-3volts into the receiver under load.  No big deal,
right?  The problem is various vendors of OTHER equipment put series limiting
resistors, and this prevented the 100 fro working correctly.  The 100
wouldn't work reliably with the Tandy DC-1200 modem for EXACTLY this reason,
and all it took was changing (or shorting) the resistors in the DC-1200.

That problem could just as likely been present with a +/- 12 volt output
level, if it was current limited to too low a value.  I will go back
and check my 100 when I get a chance and see what it is, but it is
low priority to do so.

Mike Yetsko