[comp.sys.tandy] One ** HOT ** 80C287

mparasich@pimacc.pima.edu (12/27/90)

Hi there,

  I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have.

 Computer description: 80286 Tandy 1000TX, 120mb Seagte, 640k, EGA,
                       360k 5.25, 720k 3.5, 80C287 Co-Processor.

 Problem :  I have dealt a great deal with computers/hardware for about
            ten years now. If I want a faster computer I would by a 386 or
 	    such...  But I installed the above mentioned 80C287 from an AT
 	    I parted out a while ago.  I know that the 'C' means it was
            designed for a computer with a CMOS, but the 1000TX is like a
            XT-SX (does that make sence?). A 286 chip in a 8088 environment.
            This particular chip when touched, seems to be about 30% hotter
            than any other chip. Yet I made sure it was installed and working
            properly.

 Question : Why is this chip hotter than others. & Am I getting any REAL
            advantages by utilizing this in such a manner ?

                        Thanx in Advance.

				Dean S.   (Using Mike P.  -Thanx Mike)

jmh@coyote.uucp (John Hughes) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec26.191228.5902@pimacc.pima.edu> mparasich@pimacc.pima.edu writes:

>Hi there,
>
>  I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have.
>
> Computer description: 80286 Tandy 1000TX, 120mb Seagte, 640k, EGA,
>                       360k 5.25, 720k 3.5, 80C287 Co-Processor.
>

> Problem :  I have dealt a great deal with computers/hardware for about
>            ten years now. If I want a faster computer I would by a 386 or
> 	    such...  But I installed the above mentioned 80C287 from an AT
> 	    I parted out a while ago.  I know that the 'C' means it was
>            designed for a computer with a CMOS, but the 1000TX is like a
>            XT-SX (does that make sence?). A 286 chip in a 8088 environment.
>            This particular chip when touched, seems to be about 30% hotter
>            than any other chip. Yet I made sure it was installed and working
>            properly.
>
> Question : Why is this chip hotter than others. & Am I getting any REAL
>            advantages by utilizing this in such a manner ?
>

>                        Thanx in Advance.
>
>				Dean S.   (Using Mike P.  -Thanx Mike)

The math co-processor chips always seem to run extra-hot. Some of the early
ones needed heatsink fins to avoid total meltdown.

Unless you happen to be running something like AutoCAD or a stats package
that does lots of floating point math, the coprocessor isn't going to
make any big changes in overall system speed.

--
|     John M. Hughes      | "...unfolding in consciousness at the            |
| noao!jmh%moondog@coyote | deliberate speed of pondering."  - Daniel Dennet |