[comp.sys.tandy] Why read THIS group

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (12/24/90)

In article <2547@svnet.UUCP> harry@svnet.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:

>GADS! AN IBM! CLONE!?! "Quick Marge, take the kids and head for the hills!" 8-)
>Bob: I just read this group for T100/200/102/WP2 info... (been looking for one
>for a while but most are as expensive as the new on-the-shelf models.)

Actually, there are a lot of others like you (well, sort of) here. A lot of
us watch this group for info on the Color Computer. Many of us feel the same
way about MSDOS. Now that Tandy has officially orphanned the Color Computer I
suppose we are bound to slowly dwindle away leaving this group to the clones
and laptops but that's life.

FOOTNOTE: Until they decided to cancel the Color Computer, it was the oldest
computer manufactured.

Scott

   Writing programs in assembler is like digging post holes with a teaspoon:
   it takes a long time, but you have complete control over all the dirt.
   ------------------------------------------#------------------------------
   smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu (Scott McGee)   #   Did _I_ say _That_? Really?

jmh@coyote.uucp (John Hughes) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec23.225025.26467@hellgate.utah.edu> smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) writes:
>In article <2547@svnet.UUCP> harry@svnet.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:
>>
>>GADS! AN IBM! CLONE!?! "Quick Marge, take the kids and head for the hills!" 8-)
>>Bob: I just read this group for T100/200/102/WP2 info... (been looking for one
>>for a while but most are as expensive as the new on-the-shelf models.)
>
>Actually, there are a lot of others like you (well, sort of) here. A lot of
>us watch this group for info on the Color Computer. Many of us feel the same
>way about MSDOS. Now that Tandy has officially orphanned the Color Computer I
>suppose we are bound to slowly dwindle away leaving this group to the clones
>and laptops but that's life.
>
>FOOTNOTE: Until they decided to cancel the Color Computer, it was the oldest
>computer manufactured.
>
>Scott
>
>   Writing programs in assembler is like digging post holes with a teaspoon:
>   it takes a long time, but you have complete control over all the dirt.
>   ------------------------------------------#------------------------------
>   smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu (Scott McGee)   #   Did _I_ say _That_? Really?

kindly don't forget Tandy's Biggest Commerical Computer Screw-Up, the
discontinuance of the 16/6000 family of Xenix machines. Over 15000 sold
(probably a good deal more than that), one of the first, if not the first
port of Unix Version 7 to Xenix, an expandable architecture, and....
they dropped the product line.

It would seem that Tandy's bean-counters-cum-executives have been hard-bitten
by the clone bug. Too bad.

--
|     John M. Hughes      | "...unfolding in consciousness at the            |
| noao!jmh%moondog@coyote | deliberate speed of pondering."  - Daniel Dennet |

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec25.024103.20405@coyote.uucp> jmh@coyote.UUCP (John Hughes) writes:
>kindly don't forget Tandy's Biggest Commerical Computer Screw-Up, the
>discontinuance of the 16/6000 family of Xenix machines. Over 15000 sold
>(probably a good deal more than that), one of the first, if not the first
>port of Unix Version 7 to Xenix, an expandable architecture, and....
>they dropped the product line.
>
>It would seem that Tandy's bean-counters-cum-executives have been hard-bitten
>by the clone bug. Too bad.

Even today, it leaves bittersweet tinges. I just loaded a litle cart with my
Model 16 and a couple of hard drives, preparatory to moving them out of the
apartment. I can't quite bring myself to move the cart out of the front hall
and over the threshold. Old reliable kinda stares at me, begging to revved on
one more time...

--

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr@jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (01/08/91)

In article <1990Dec23.225025.26467@hellgate.utah.edu>, smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) writes:
> In article <2547@svnet.UUCP> harry@svnet.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:
> >
> >GADS! AN IBM! CLONE!?! "Quick Marge, take the kids and head for the hills!" 8-)
> >Bob: I just read this group for T100/200/102/WP2 info... (been looking for one
> >for a while but most are as expensive as the new on-the-shelf models.)
>
> Actually, there are a lot of others like you (well, sort of) here. A lot of
> us watch this group for info on the Color Computer. Many of us feel the same
> way about MSDOS. Now that Tandy has officially orphanned the Color Computer I
> suppose we are bound to slowly dwindle away leaving this group to the clones
> and laptops but that's life.
>
> FOOTNOTE: Until they decided to cancel the Color Computer, it was the oldest
> computer manufactured.
>
> Scott
>
>    Writing programs in assembler is like digging post holes with a teaspoon:
>    it takes a long time, but you have complete control over all the dirt.
>    ------------------------------------------#------------------------------
>    smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu (Scott McGee)   #   Did _I_ say _That_? Really?

Well,

I have a feeling that there will be people reading this news group for info on
the Color COmputer for many years to come... I give it another 3 years AT LEAST

I know I will be!

<smile>

(especially since we now have the ability to be nodes in the UUCP world... and we
get news delivered to our homes! ha ha ha... some of my friends do, anyway....)

David J. Halko
| sold DOS machines for 3 years | halkoD@moravian.edu       - university |
| bought OS9 machines for over  | soon to be announce       - business   |
| 6 years! Long Live OS9!       | soon to be announce       - home       |