[comp.sys.tandy] RFI re relationship, if any, w/ Compaq

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (01/06/91)

Can anyone tell me what, if any, formal relationship exists
between Tandy and Compaq?
Does Compaq make some of the computers that Tandy sells?
Is there any joint marketing or sales?
Is there any part ownership by one of the other?
Just curious...

-- Kenn Goutal

Internet:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM   or	kenn@rr.MV.COM
UUCP:		...decvax!zinn!kenn  or	...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (01/07/91)

Tandy and *GRID* are connected. Are you getting Grid & Compaq confused?

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (01/08/91)

Am I getting Compaq and Grid confused?  No.  I never heard of Grid.
Who are *they*?
I'm asking on behalf of a friend, who has recently seen many articles
in various trade and business periodicals that mention Tand and Compaq
in the same breath, as it were, implying some relationship.
Information about Grid and their relationship with Tandy would be
valuable, too.
Thanks!
-- Kenn Goutal

CompuServe:	71117.2572		(PARTI handle: kenn)
Internet:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM   or	kenn@rr.MV.COM
[The] PO!NT:	kenn
UUCP:		...decvax!zinn!kenn  or	...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn

|  Ship and Travel Intermodally -- Commute Electronically!  |

rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Trouble) (01/09/91)

In article <1099@zinn.MV.COM> kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) writes:
>Am I getting Compaq and Grid confused?  No.  I never heard of Grid.
>Who are *they*?

Makers of fancy laptops, like the one with the magnesium case.  Some
models are very much favored by governmental-types, so at least one
model is Tempest-spec (Tempest is the gov't. RFI emssions control
specification that computers have to meet in order to be used for
certain "sensitive" applications).  Grid acquired in the last year
or so by Tandy.

>I'm asking on behalf of a friend, who has recently seen many articles
>in various trade and business periodicals that mention Tand and Compaq
>in the same breath, as it were, implying some relationship.

They do have a relationship, though the two are not connected.  They
are both large manufacturers of IBM clones.  You might say that in the
clone business, there's Compaq, Tandy, and everyone else.  Maybe
that oversimplifies it a bit, but you get the idea.

>Information about Grid and their relationship with Tandy would be
>valuable, too.

See above.  I didn't give all the details, but it's a start.  If you
want more, let me know, or maybe someone else here will fill in
some details.

Bob

--
rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu  					    Air:  PP-SEL
AMA # 541283 				   		   Road:  750 Ninja

juan@rose.ACA.MCC.COM (John Reynolds) (01/09/91)

In article <1094@zinn.MV.COM>, kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) writes:
> Can anyone tell me what, if any, formal relationship exists
> between Tandy and Compaq?
> Does Compaq make some of the computers that Tandy sells?
> Is there any joint marketing or sales?
> Is there any part ownership by one of the other?
> Just curious...
>
> -- Kenn Goutal

 Since 1986, Tandy has aquired both Grid (a laptop manufacturer)
 and Victor (a European computer manufacturer).  Tandy also manu-
 factures computers for DEC and Matsushita (pronounced Pan-a-son-ic).

 Compaq backed out of the 1986 merger due to fears of the damage the
 image of Tandy's Radio Shack subsidiary could have caused the Compaq
 name.