[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 4000/LX

tts@ttank.ttank.com (Karl Bunch) (02/10/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.something I noticed they are talking a lot about
upgrading CPU's to higher speeds by replacing the Crystal.  Now the
big question (I haven't been inside I Tandy 4000/LX for a while now)
I think the LX had a removable set of crystals.  Would it be worth a
try to order 25Mhz crystals from National Parts and plug them in?
Or is it going to be too hard on the CPU & Support chips?  Maybe
just that + buy a new 25Mhz 386 chip would be worth the time?

While I am at it anyone know of a way to upgrade a Tandy 4000 or
4000/LX to a 486 cpu?

Thanks in advance,

Karl
--
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Karl Bunch                            ||| UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!karl

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.065907.311@ttank.ttank.com> karl@ttank.com writes:
>big question (I haven't been inside I Tandy 4000/LX for a while now)
>I think the LX had a removable set of crystals.  Would it be worth a
>try to order 25Mhz crystals from National Parts and plug them in?

The 4000/4000LX had memory problems at 16/20MHz; there was a service
mod that tied pull-down resistors onto the back of the board to keep
the ringing from causing memory errors.  I would suspect that even
if the other chips ran at 25MHz that the board would not be reliable.

386/25 motherboards are down in the $600-800 range so I would not think
that this was a good idea.  In my case I purchased an AMI 386/20 motherboard
with cache which runs about 20% faster than the 4000LX and moved the cards
over from it.

>While I am at it anyone know of a way to upgrade a Tandy 4000 or
>4000/LX to a 486 cpu?

Only by buying a 486 board and plugging it in; BSI was selling a new
board with 0K for $1500 or so (486/25).  If you run only DOS the speed
differences between a 386 and a 486 may not be worth it; my 486/25 clocks
at 12,000 Dhrystones under DOS, 21,000 under UNIX; 4000LX runs about 5500
and the 386/20 cache at 7500.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408