[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 6000 MMU problems

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (02/16/91)

     I have a Tandy 6000 (originally upgraded from a 16B), with an MMU
upgrade and an aftermarket 4-meg memory board. I am having some problems
that appear to be heat related, occasional core dumps for no good reason
and that sort of thing, and as long as the room the machine is in stays
below 70 degrees it doesn't happen.

     So, I am wondering if anyone knows (or knows how to find out) what
the original CFM rating of the fan is so I can look for something
healthier.

     Also, would like to run diagnostics on this thing to see if there
are any hard bad memory locations and the like. The diagnostic software
I have is old and most of the tests won't recognize anything above 1
meg of memory so the top 3 megs doesn't get tested. Are there newer
diagnostics available?

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (02/18/91)

In article <227@rwing.UUCP> nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) writes:

>     I have a Tandy 6000 (originally upgraded from a 16B), with an MMU
>upgrade and an aftermarket 4-meg memory board. I am having some problems
>that appear to be heat related, occasional core dumps for no good reason
>and that sort of thing, and as long as the room the machine is in stays
>below 70 degrees it doesn't happen.
>
>     So, I am wondering if anyone knows (or knows how to find out) what
>the original CFM rating of the fan is so I can look for something
>healthier.

   Robert, the university of washington was having the same problem
with their 6000 systems, so they put a very large fan on the rear
cover (the card cage access cover) and that solved the problem.  I
have another 6000 sitting over at don kimberlin's house in renton, that
also has the rear mounted fan.  perhaps we could work out a trade
of some sort.  that other 6000 is only being used as a cp/m machine,
something that can be replaced by a TRS2, so the machine doesn't hold a lot
of value for me.

(I'm up to my neck in spare TRS2s.)

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!