[comp.sys.tandy] trsdos 2.3 wanted

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (02/13/91)

I was recently given a trs-80 model 1 in good working order, but with
_no_ software.

does anyone have a copy of trsdos 2.3 (or equivalent aftermarket OS)
sitting unused in the bottom of a closet, that I could have?

thank you

chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

dl10507@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (The Rambling Rover) (02/13/91)

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:

>does anyone have a copy of trsdos 2.3 (or equivalent aftermarket OS)
>sitting unused in the bottom of a closet, that I could have?

Don't use TRSDOS 2.3, it's buggy.  (Cf. Harv Pennington's article in
the 3/81 issue of 80 Microcomputing).  Any of the others would be better --
I use NEWDOS/80 and it performs quite nicely.  Still using it just fine.

I'm curious whether it counts as "software piracy" when none of this
software has been for sale for nearly ten years, and all the companies are
out of business.  At this point I have very few qualms about giving away
TRS-80 Model I software -- nobody's hurting for money as a result of it.
Bill Gates would undoubtedly disagree with me.  (But YOU just try getting
Editor/Assembler-Plus from Microsoft Consumer Products!)

David Librik                                   |  clywais Efengyl nad yw'n wir,
Internet: dl10507@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu             |  gwelais fleiddiaid yn y tir,
UUCP: {uunet,att,iuvax}!uiucuxa!dl10507        |  a'r bobl yn welw -
JANET: nsfnet-relay::edu.uiuc.cso.uxa::dl10507 |  gerbron y Ganran Elw.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Eaves ----

rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Trouble) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb13.050257.6102@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dl10507@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (The Rambling Rover) writes:

>Don't use TRSDOS 2.3, it's buggy.  (Cf. Harv Pennington's article in
>the 3/81 issue of 80 Microcomputing).  Any of the others would be better --

Now *this* is what I love about using old computers.  Other than
alt.folklore.computers, how many other groups make reference to
decade-old computer magazines?  Talk about staying power...

>I'm curious whether it counts as "software piracy" when none of this
>software has been for sale for nearly ten years, and all the companies are
>out of business.  At this point I have very few qualms about giving away
>TRS-80 Model I software -- nobody's hurting for money as a result of it.

Technically, it is piracy when the author doesn't get his cut, even if
he's dead, the work is out of print, or whatever, as long as the copyright
is in effect.  I share your view; the stuff is no longer commercially
available, for any sum, and there is no practical way to get the author's
share to him, so copy away!

Bob

--
rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu  					    Air:  PP-SEL
AMA # 541283 				   		   Road:  750 Ninja

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb12.230202.7768@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
> I was recently given a trs-80 model 1 in good working order, but with
> _no_ software.
>

> does anyone have a copy of trsdos 2.3 (or equivalent aftermarket OS)
> sitting unused in the bottom of a closet, that I could have?
>

> thank you
>
> --
> chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
> 	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
> chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

Probably the best source would be Tandy...

I ordered a Model 2 systems diskette from them for a price as little as $10
I think.... Tandy is a very reliable source for old operating system copies.

Come to think of it, is there anyone out there who has an editor/assembler
for the good ol' TRS-80 Model 2?

How about a memory map (so I can map in the serial and parallel ports?)

The good ol' Model 2 comes with a quick and dirty terminal program, but it
looses characters at 4800 baud, so I figured it was about time for me to
write a new one (as well as a new screen I/O routine, serial I/O routine,
and maybe a parallel communication routine...)

David J. Halko