[comp.sys.tandy] Hard Disk on a 1000TX

andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux) (02/22/91)

Thanks to all who responed to my post asking for help installing a hard drive
on a Tandy 1000TX.  As it turned out, the salesman at the store sold me the
wrong interface/drive completely.  Unfortunately, when I took it back, they
didn't have what I wanted in stock.  So I'm still hunting for a drive.

To summarize the responses:

One possible problem when adding a hard drive controller to a Tandy is that
they use interrupt request 2, while everyone else in the known universe uses
interrupt request 5.  (According to one poster, the dip switch on the mother
board allows you to change this.  The only reference I found in the manual
said that this switch enables/disables IRQ5.  Am I correct in assuming that
enabling IRQ5 would allow most non-Tandy controllers to work?)

Several responses mentioned the Western Digital 1004-27X controller as being
compatible with the Tandy's default IRQ settings.  (This is an RLL controller.
I have also heard MFM controllers and drives mentioned.  What are the
advantages/disadvantages of these two interfaces?  Is there much of a price
or performance difference?)

One responder mentioned a Tandy 1000TX technical manual.  I assume this can
be ordered from a Radio Shack.  Any idea how much it costs or if one needs
to order it from a computer center?

Thanks to everyone who replied.

+---------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Andre Molyneux KA7WVV  andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com |*** GENERIC DISCLAIMER ***|
+---------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
|      -=-------- PYRAMID TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION    |All the usual disclaimers |
|    ---===------ 1295 Charleston Road              |apply although, as far as |
|  -----=====---- Mountain View, California 94043   |I can tell, my employer   |
|-------=======-- (415) 965-7200                    |doesn't care what I think!|
+---------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (02/23/91)

The switch enables/disables the system board from using IRQ5.  IRQ5 was
used in the PC-jr for the video, and since the 1000 series had the jr
enhanced video......

Mike Yetsko
89 Marion Dr.
Whitinsville, MA  01588
(508)-234-2262

garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) (02/24/91)

In article <145726@pyramid.pyramid.com> andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux) writes:

[..]

>To summarize the responses:
>
>One possible problem when adding a hard drive controller to a Tandy is that
>they use interrupt request 2, while everyone else in the known universe uses
>interrupt request 5.  [..]

>+---------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
>| Andre Molyneux KA7WVV  andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com |*** GENERIC DISCLAIMER ***|
>+---------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
>|      -=-------- PYRAMID TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION    |All the usual disclaimers |
>|    ---===------ 1295 Charleston Road              |apply although, as far as |
>|  -----=====---- Mountain View, California 94043   |I can tell, my employer   |
>|-------=======-- (415) 965-7200                    |doesn't care what I think!|

It is only fair to point out that IRQ2 was only used on Tandy's 1000 series
machines, and only on the models pre-dating 1989.

And, yes... on the TX (and SX too), you can enable IRQ5 using one of the
DIP switches.

Regards,
gary