[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model 1 question

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (02/28/91)

I've got this old TRS-08 Model 1 that I've just recently found in the
basement of my parents' house during a visit, and I'd like to hook it
up and test it out (and play some of those Big Five games again).  The
problem?  No monitor.  Does anybody know what I'd need to do to wire
something from the video out of the TRS-80 to the video in of a VCR?
--
Doug DeJulio
dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu

cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) (02/28/91)

In article <0bmzJQ_00VI8I0t_5p@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F.
DeJulio) writes:
> Does anybody know what I'd need to do to wire
> something from the video out of the TRS-80 to the video in of a VCR?

1)  1 Shielded cable; of appropriate length; though twisted pair might work,
2)  1 VCR Connector; see your VCR for this,
3)  1 5pin DIN (male) connector [or was it six pin??].

The pins on the VIDEO out connector on the TRS-80 include

	+5v regulated
	Ground
	Video Out

and I think there might be a sync output that isn't used much, since the video
out is a composite sync type signal.

I'm pretty sure that a VCR can handle an accidental 5vdc pulse; it gets heaps
more out of an electrical storm.  VCR video in sections normally include a
capacitor to filter out DC levels.  The composite video signal is around 2v
peak-to-peak, I think.

The point of all this is that I don't know off hand which pin is which, but I do
think that trying out every pin sequence will give you what you need eventually.
If you have a multimeter handy, use that first so that you can identify the +5v
output pin.  If you have the cassette drive cable available, use the shield of
one of it's plugs as the ground reference.  If you have nothing, then you'll
find that the +5v pin will give a white flash on the screen.

My model I's have monitors, and it's been a while since I connected them to my
VCR...

--
James Cameron
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) P/L

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (02/28/91)

Hmm....  It really HAS been years....

I THINK that the TRS-80 originally had video out, but it was 5V p-p,
kind of high, but not bad.  I've seen old mod 1's tied to modulators,
and then to TV's but they looked kinda bad.  If you take it direct
video, it should be halfway decent.

I have this nagging in my head that maybe it was separate syncs, but I don't t
think so.

Mike Yetsko

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (03/01/91)

In article <0bmzJQ_00VI8I0t_5p@andrew.cmu.edu> dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
>I've got this old TRS-08 Model 1 that I've just recently found in the
>basement of my parents' house during a visit, and I'd like to hook it
>up and test it out (and play some of those Big Five games again).  The
>problem?  No monitor.  Does anybody know what I'd need to do to wire
>something from the video out of the TRS-80 to the video in of a VCR?

The video connector on the back of the I is a 5-pin din connector.
On the connector there are 3 significant signals.  video, +5 v, and
ground.

The original monitor was made by RCA and was a hot-chassis tv set
with the tuner out.

The 5v powered an opto-isolator circuit to keep the 110vac out othe
computer (and user).

The easiest way is to get a mono 5pin din (with 3 connectors) to
two RCA plugs.  They were available for the original cassette
machines. One plug will have the video signal on it with the
associated ground.  Cut of the other and wire directly to a
standard video monitor.

Or build your own.   This is from memory (about 11 years ago now)
the only pins you need to worry about a 1,3 and 5.  You could check
with an ohm-meter and find ground.  Then find 5v.  Use the one that
is NOT 5v and the ground.  Video is standard composite.  I used
non-RS monitors for years.  Big improvement.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.085743@snoc01.enet.dec.com> cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) writes:
>In article <0bmzJQ_00VI8I0t_5p@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F.
>DeJulio) writes:
>> Does anybody know what I'd need to do to wire
>> something from the video out of the TRS-80 to the video in of a VCR?

I've done this -- all you need to do is go out and buy one of those
$50-90 black-white/amber/green COMPOSITE monitor and hook two of the
pins (video out and ground) to the monitor.  Works perfectly, (letters
are sharp) except it seems that you will not get the full use of the
screen (remember, the model I can print 64 characters across the
screen).  It seems like you are boxed up!

Anyways, if you need more info, feel free to leave me email @
ghong@ucsd.edu

Gary