[comp.sys.tandy] TANDY 1000TX Video Mode 9 question

dantoni@decnet.enet.dec.com (Gaitan Dantoni) (03/06/91)

    I'm having a problem programming my mouse on a Tandy 1000 TX when using
    Tandy Mode Graphics (Video Mode 9). When I display the graphics cursor,
    using standard "INT 33h" function calls, I get two partial cursor
    images, each one missing every other row of pixels. Both images move
    together as I move the mouse. It appears that if the two images were
    overlaid I would get the proper cursor image. If I switch to some other
    graphics mode, such as mode 5, everything works fine.

    I believe the mouse can be used in mode 9 because I have a Tandy paint
    program that, I think, uses the mouse in this mode. Any suggestions?

Gaitan D'Antoni
Digital Equipment Corporation

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (03/06/91)

Gaitan D'Antoni writes:
> I'm having a problem programming my mouse on a Tandy 1000 TX when using
> Tandy Mode Graphics (Video Mode 9). When I display the graphics cursor,
> using standard "INT 33h" function calls, I get two partial cursor
> images, each one missing every other row of pixels. Both images move
> together as I move the mouse. It appears that if the two images were
> overlaid I would get the proper cursor image. If I switch to some other
> graphics mode, such as mode 5, everything works fine.
>
> I believe the mouse can be used in mode 9 because I have a Tandy paint
> program that, I think, uses the mouse in this mode. Any suggestions?

Mode 9 and on up are not supported by most mouse drivers on the Tandy.
The mouse driver thinks it has a PCjr video card which does not quite
match up to the Tandy. When I did a graphics program which used the
mouse, I had to do my own display functions for the mouse cursor. I think
that most paint programs don't bother using the mouse cursor display
support and do it themselves.

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com