[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy in trouble

demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Enigne Yratorelknaw) (03/06/91)

Hi.  I have some massive trouble...I cannot use my floppies any longer!

Here's my system:
			A Tandy 1000 TL
			Configured with a 3.5 and a 5.25 floppies
			768K memory
			Tandy graphics
			Practical Peripherals OEM 2400 baud modem
			A generic serial port board
			A Game Blaster (please, no flames on this one)
			And a hard card (ST 157R, 48 megs)

Anyways, this is the scenario...

I was attempting in installing high density drives, one for each type
(3.5 and 5.25).  I tried to install the 5.25, but I didn't bother since
it didn't have the power connection at the right place, so I said screw it.
I tried with the 3.5 and got many wierd  things happening.

Well, first of all I bought a Toshiba 3.5, and borrowed a Toshiba 5.25, 'nuff
said.  The card for the high density was a generic type I got from Soft
Warehouse.  I know, I know, it might not work, but since it was cheap but
reliable, I decided to try.

Well, for about 3 hours of on and off of the power and many jumper changes
(both the card and the 3.5 drive), I decided to call it a failure and  return
the stuff.  But when I loaded my hardware back in (the original low-density
drives), the computer didn't recognize them properly.  I would get the error
'Failure' read error.  I got baffled.  So I thought it would be the EEPROM
setting since I tried the 'Vanilla' configuration.  No change.

Please!!!!!!  Someone, I need help!  Advise is needed, not flames, since I
am a student, and I got projects due very soon, and I can't even put them
on floppies to give them to the professors since they are on the HD.

Much is appreciated...

:

Yung D. Kim                                         "I like traffic lights"
Illinois Institue of Technology               "13:2.5 male to female ratio"
Computer Science and Technologies         "Where's my disk for my project?"
WhateverNET (I forgot): demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu   "The Encore/MADMAX/IITMAX"
Another source <======> kimyung@harpo.iit.edu       "The VAX Marx brothers"

"Bump a bump if you don't feel it" <================================ B.I.P.
"All we are...is dust in the wind, dude"               "Ted" Theodore Logan
"All we are...is all we were less all we will be."  Some dude named Donovan

demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Enigne Yratorelknaw) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.094622.74@iitmax.iit.edu>, demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu (Enigne Yratorelknaw) writes:
> Hi.  I have some massive trouble...I cannot use my floppies any longer!

Blah, blah, blah...

> I was attempting in installing high density drives, one for each type
> (3.5 and 5.25).  I tried to install the 5.25, but I didn't bother since
> it didn't have the power connection at the right place, so I said screw it.
> I tried with the 3.5 and got many wierd  things happening.

......verbage cut out......

> Well, for about 3 hours of on and off of the power and many jumper changes
> (both the card and the 3.5 drive), I decided to call it a failure and  return
> the stuff.  But when I loaded my hardware back in (the original low-density
> drives), the computer didn't recognize them properly.  I would get the error
> 'Failure' read error.  I got baffled.  So I thought it would be the EEPROM
> setting since I tried the 'Vanilla' configuration.  No change.

Forget it.  Everything's okay.  Sorry for the scare, if any.

Oh, this kinda brings up a question in mind.  Does anyone know why the
3.5 High Density is not properly recognized?  I cannot get it to run at all.

A friend says it might be my EEPROM/CMOS settings or my BIOS (won't support
the 3.5 High Density).

Please advise...

Thanks.