[comp.sys.tandy] TRS80, Model 100 Portable Questions

ccc_spt@waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) (03/05/91)

This is a repost of something I asked about a year ago, but I lost all the
replies in a mail purge.  I'd really appreciate it if you have any info that
you could mail to me.

What I want to know is:

	1.  There's a RAM OPTION socket inside the MODEL 100; can anyone tell
		me what chip(s) fit in this, and what extra capacity it/they
		will give me.
	2.  There's a ROM OPTION socket as well; what would this be for, and
		was anything ever produced for it?
	3.  The BUS connector, what use is it?
	4.  What are the pin configurations for the phone plug and Cassete plug
		(and has anyone used them successfully outside the us)
	5.  TELCOM
		(a).  Can Telcom CALL using tones, not pulses?
		(b).  Can anyone list all that you can change with the STAT
			command, and the options for each, i.e. which letter
			changes baud rate, parity, etc etc
	6.  BASIC
		What other M100 specific commands (like DATE$,Day,time,IPL)
		are there.

This is a pretty tall order, but any help anyone can give me will be really
gratefully accepted.

				Thanks	- Simon

     This signature has been thoroughly vetted by the Signature Police.
 Vetting procedure includes full signature body cavity searches and exposure
in infraviolent light.             Federal Signature Cleanliness Rating: X-3
	Not to be viewed with terminal at full brightness.
spt@grace.waikato.ac.nz (or @truth.waikato..)  Voice: 064 71 384008 "Hello?"
Old soldiers never die - young ones do.

cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) (03/05/91)

Newsgroups: misc.wanted,comp.sys.tandy,comp.misc,com.wanted
From: cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron)
Subject: Re: TRS80, Model 100 Portable Questions

In article <1991Mar5.134902.3046@waikato.ac.nz>, ccc_spt@waikato.ac.nz (Simon
Travaglia) writes:
>	1.  There's a RAM OPTION socket inside the MODEL 100; can anyone tell
>		me what chip(s) fit in this, and what extra capacity it/they
>		will give me.

Please let me know if you find out anything on this...

>	2.  There's a ROM OPTION socket as well; what would this be for, and
>		was anything ever produced for it?

And this...

>	3.  The BUS connector, what use is it?

For connecting things.  Presumably people built boxes that could be connected to
the machine at this point.  How does the disk drive connect?  Probably here; but
I don't know.

>	4.  What are the pin configurations for the phone plug and Cassete plug
>		(and has anyone used them successfully outside the us)

I'm about to find out about the phone socket; call me back in a few months and
I'll let you know what I've found.

The cassette socket is useful for controlling small DC loads such as a remote
alarm system... otherwise use it for cassette storage; like it was originally
designed for.  There is a cable that connects from the socket to the cassette
recorder.

Pin connections are in the manual... which I haven't got with me right now.

>	5.  TELCOM
>		(a).  Can Telcom CALL using tones, not pulses?

No.  I don't think so.

>		(b).  Can anyone list all that you can change with the STAT
>			command, and the options for each, i.e. which letter
>			changes baud rate, parity, etc etc

Yes; but I'd have to bring in my manuals... let me know if you want me to do
that.
From memory, the first digit is baud rate or M for the built in modem.  9 means
19200; that's all I know off by heart.  The second digit is bits per byte.  The
third is parity; None, Even, Odd; at least.  The fourth digit is stop bit count;
1 or 2.  The fifth digit is E or D meaning Enable or Disable the XON/XOFF
protocol.  On US machines, you can specify the dialing pulse rate after this
digit.

>	6.  BASIC
>		What other M100 specific commands (like DATE$,Day,time,IPL)
>		are there.

Heaps.  At least this is so on my Model 102.

It occurs to me that you haven't got a manual for the thing.  If this is so,
maybe you should approach Tandy/Radio Shack for a copy?  I've got two for the
Model 102, but I want to keep it that way for a while.

>This is a pretty tall order, but any help anyone can give me will be really
>gratefully accepted.

So; are you grateful yet??? ;-)

--
James Cameron
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) P/L

bownesrm@beowulf.UUCP (Waiting for the Sun) (03/06/91)

->1.  There's a RAM OPTION socket inside the MODEL 100; can anyone tell
->        me what chip(s) fit in this, and what extra capacity it/they
->        will give me.

	It is for an 8K x 8 custom Static RAM carrier. This was an 8K x 8
ram built out of 4 2k x 8's mounted on a ceramic carrier. There are no
standard SRAMS that will fit in this socket. You can however build your own
carrier if sufficiently motivated.

	Pinout for the RAM array sockets are as follows:

	1	a7	28      vdd
	2	a6	27      a8
	3	a5	26      a9
	4	a4	25      WR*
	5	a3	24      ce3*
	6	a2	23      a10
	7	a1	22      OE*
	8	a0	21      ad7
	9	ad0	20      ad6
	10	ad1	19      ad5
	11	ad2	18      ad4
	12	gnd	17      ad3
	13	ce0*	16      gnd
	14	ce1*	15      ce2*

The ce0-3 lines are chip select to each of the 2k x 8 rams. If you want to
connect them to a 8k x 8 RAM you'll have to decode them back down into 2 address
lines and a chip select decoder. Not tough logically, but it gets tight in the
M100 case.

->2.  There's a ROM OPTION socket as well; what would this be for, and
->        was anything ever produced for it?

Possibly the most used expansion capability of the machine. Traveling Software
has (had?) several different option ROMS available.

->3.  The BUS connector, what use is it?

	Used for connecting the Disk/Video interface to the M100. This little
box gave you 80 x 24 video & 5 1/4" floppies. Was about $200.00 when they
stopped selling it. But it was very useful if you could get one.

->4.  What are the pin configurations for the phone plug and Cassete plug
->        (and has anyone used them successfully outside the us)

	Cassette Plug:	Pin#	Signal	Description
			1	REM1	One side of start/stop switch/relay
			2	GND	ground
			3	REM2	other side of start/stop switch/relay
			4	RXC	Speaker out from cassette.
			5	TXC	audio/mic into cassette
			6	GND
			7,8	N/C

	Phone plug:	Pin # 	Signal	Description
			1	TL	tip for aux phone unit.
			2	GND	ground
			3	RXMD	Recieve Modem Direct (ring)
			4	RXM	Recieve Modem (acoustic coupler)
			5	TXM	Transmit Modem (acoustic coupler)
			6	Vdd	power for acoustic coupler
			7	TXMD	Transmit Modem Direct (tip)
			8	RP	Ring Pulse  (for aux phone unit)

	To convert a Model 100 from US modem standard to C.C.I.T.T. all that
is needed is to disconnect pin 14 of the modem chip (m31, an MC14412) from Vdd
(it is connected to pins 15 and 16 then to vdd through r46) and connect it
to ground. This pin selects the 'type' for the modem chip.

->5.  TELCOM
->        (a).  Can Telcom CALL using tones, not pulses?

	Yes, but I don't remember how.

->        (b).  Can anyone list all that you can change with the STAT
->                command, and the options for each, i.e. which letter
->                changes baud rate, parity, etc etc

	It's all in the manual, which, if you are missing, can be ordered
through National Parts.

->6.  BASIC
->        What other M100 specific commands (like DATE$,Day,time,IPL)
->        are there.

	Check "Hidden Powers of the Model 100" by cChristoper Morgan, ISBn
0-452-25578-3

	Most of the above information came out of the Model 100 Service
Manual, RS part # ms26-3801, which includes technical descriptions of all
the LSI, schematics, troubleshooting, theory of operation for major sections,
etc. It's about 100+ pages of very detailed technical information on the 100.

	Bob Bownes

cortez@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff Cortez) (03/08/91)

>	1.  There's a RAM OPTION socket inside the MODEL 100; can anyone tell
>		me what chip(s) fit in this, and what extra capacity it/they
>		will give me.

There is a 8K ram chip which Radio Shack sells which fits this socket.
I don't remember the price, but it wasn't that much.  Some third-party
firms also sold memory expansion boards which plugged into this socket,
but I don't think any of them are still in business.  Anyone else know?

>	2.  There's a ROM OPTION socket as well; what would this be for, and
>		was anything ever produced for it?

This socket is used for many programs written for the Model 100.  I use
WriteRom myself.  There are many other programs available.  I will try
to repost later with the name's of some companies.

>	3.  The BUS connector, what use is it?

The BUS connector is used to hook up the external visual display expander.
(If anyone has one and wants to sell it I am interested :-))  Besides this,
the only thing else which I know of was the Chipmunk drive which I think is
not produced any longer.

>	4.  What are the pin configurations for the phone plug and Cassete plug
>		(and has anyone used them successfully outside the us)

Would have to look at the manual for the exact pin config., but I do know
that radio shack sells a modem cable and cassette cable which allow you to
use these ports.  Of course modem cable is made for use in the US so I don't
know how well it will work elsewhere. :-)  The cassette cable though should
work fine anywhere.

>	5.  TELCOM
>		(a).  Can Telcom CALL using tones, not pulses?

Telcom does not decide what to use, the switch on the left side labeled
touch tone/pulse does for the internal modem and external modems decide on
their own.

>		(b).  Can anyone list all that you can change with the STAT
>			command, and the options for each, i.e. which letter
>			changes baud rate, parity, etc etc

You can change RS232 communication speed and setup.  Also you can change
the internal modem setup.  Again, I need to get home to see what the manual
says so I will respond later with specifics.

>	6.  BASIC
>		What other M100 specific commands (like DATE$,Day,time,IPL)
>		are there.

Most normal BASIC commands are supported.  There are some specific commands
but I would refer you to the BASIC manual (which it seems you don't have :-( )
If you want, contact me and maybe we can make a deal for getting copies of
the manual sent to you.

>This is a pretty tall order, but any help anyone can give me will be really
>gratefully accepted.

>				Thanks	- Simon

Well no order is to tall.  :-).

By the way, for all you users who have been trying to contact me direct,
make note of my new email address.  I am still checking the old one, but
not very often.

Jeff Cortez
Maintainer of the Tandy100 Archives
tandy@uiuc.edu