[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy emulator for IBM-PC

GHGADC5@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (03/15/91)

Hello,
    I've heared something about a tandy emulator for pc. Is there anybody
who knows something about it ?

                                              Greetings, peter

jfowler@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (03/16/91)

In article <91074.094311GHGADC5@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GHGADC5@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
>    I've heared something about a tandy emulator for pc. Is there anybody
>who knows something about it ?

Depends on which Tandy it is.  The answer is Yes for the
Models I/III or Model 4.  And, of course, most anything that will
run under a Tandy MS-DOS system (except the Tandy 2000) will also
run on a comparably equipped IBM PC.

I don't know about the handhelds (Tandy Pocket Computers), the
portables (Tandy 100/102/200), the Color Computers, or the
Models II/12/16/6000.

You should rephrase your question to be more specific about which
Tandy model emulation you're looking for.

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu

phillips@cs.ubc.ca (George Phillips) (03/18/91)

In article <91074.094311GHGADC5@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GHGADC5@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
>Hello,
>    I've heared something about a tandy emulator for pc. Is there anybody
>who knows something about it ?

I've written a TRS-80 (Model III) emulator for the PC which will also
(soon) run on UNIX under X window.  I hope to have a distribution ready
in the near future, but it's taking me longer that I expected (*sigh*).
Anyhow, stay tuned for a posting of it sometime.  I posted rather
than mailed since I figured there are others who'd like to know that
I'm still working on it (1/2 :-).

--
George Phillips phillips@cs.ubc.ca {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!phillips

dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu (David Heath) (03/19/91)

I've been scraping together an LS-DOS 6.3 system that runs under unix, using
Nick Sayer's z80 emulator code. It seems to run basic ok, but there are still
some problems with other programs. Also, screen output is very primitive right
now, and needs to be re-written (I made the mistake of trying to use curses).

Also, You have to have a version of LS-DOS or TRSDOS to use this. I think that
either 6.3 or 6.2 would work.

-dave
dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu

jfowler@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (03/19/91)

I received a letter from the original requestor stating that he did
indeed want a Model I/III/4 emulator.

The only emulators I know that exist right now are commercial and
available from Hypersoft in the U.S.  Here are the descriptions:

PC-3 is a Model III emulator for PC-compatibles with at least 384K
of memory.  It requires the MODELA/III file from a TRSDOS 6.2 disk,
and you must own your own Model III DOS.  It comes with a program to
transfer diskettes from TRS-80 format to MS-DOS format, but
depending on the type of your PC's drives, you may need access to a
working TRS-80.  The price (including one free upgrade) is
US$109.95, although PC-4 and PCXZ owners can get a better price.

PC-4 is a Model 4 emulator also for PC-compatibles with at least
384K of memory.  The advertisement I'm taking this from implies that
you don't need to purchase a separate DOS for it.  The price is
US$74.95 alone, but it does not include a program to transfer files
from TRS-80 diskettes.  They have special prices for transfer
programs if you buy them in addition to PC-4.

For more information, write or call Hypersoft at:

Hypersoft
P.O. Box 51155
Raleigh, NC  27609
U.S.A.

Phone: +1 919 847 4779   8am-6pm EST (orders)
       +1 919 846 1637   6pm-11pm EST (support)

MasterCard/VISA accepted.

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu
Disclaimer: Neither I nor the University of California have any

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (03/28/91)

jfowler@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) writes:

>I received a letter from the original requestor stating that he did
>indeed want a Model I/III/4 emulator.

>The only emulators I know that exist right now are commercial and
>available from Hypersoft in the U.S.  Here are the descriptions:

[PC-3 paragraph deleted - I know nothing of that]

>PC-4 is a Model 4 emulator also for PC-compatibles with at least
>384K of memory.  The advertisement I'm taking this from implies that
>you don't need to purchase a separate DOS for it.  The price is
>US$74.95 alone, but it does not include a program to transfer files
>from TRS-80 diskettes.  They have special prices for transfer
>programs if you buy them in addition to PC-4.

I have PC-4. It works with most things, but not everything. It's true
that it needs no other operating system. It looks very like LDOS.

You need PC-Crosszap (name?) from Hypersoft to convert from Tandy to PC
disk formats (or something on the TRS). The version I have is rather old,
and doesn't support higher resolution PC formats, but does the job of
conversion (as long as Double Density is involved) quite well. I beleive
the single density formats are technically impossible to read with normal
PC drives.

>For more information, write or call Hypersoft at:
 - ditto -
>Hypersoft
>P.O. Box 51155
>Raleigh, NC  27609
>U.S.A.

>Phone: +1 919 847 4779   8am-6pm EST (orders)
>       +1 919 846 1637   6pm-11pm EST (support)

>MasterCard/VISA accepted.

>--
>John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu
>Disclaimer: Neither I nor the University of California have any
>            connection to Hypersoft.  I don't own these programs either.

Partly ditto. Neither I nor anyone I know have any connexion to Hypersoft.
As far as I know, Philips doesn't own Hypersoft either :-)

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.