[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 2000 hard drive patches

johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) (03/26/91)

Hi, I am posting for a friend who is looking for the patches so that a
Tandy 2000 can use a larger hard drive size. If you know these or can
tell me where to look please mail directly as I do not reed this group or
if you can mail directly to Susan Cox on fido (1:138/118) (206) 759-5550.
Many thanks

johnw@reed

--
    _ _     Duh!                                 |
  O/.V.\O  /      johnw@reed (John B. Windberg)  | UNIX and Beer....

robert@jetsun.weitek.COM (Robert Plamondon) (03/28/91)

The Tandy 2000 will support drives up to 32 MB directly, without
patches.  Use HFORMAT with the /p options, and it will prompt for the
number of heads and cylinders, and also prompt for the interleave
factor.  If you have very old ROMS, adding a D: drive will prevent
the system from booting off the C: drive, but it will still boot from
a floppy in A:.  You can get new ROMs from Tandy or from MicroLink
Technologies.

For disks of greater than 32 MB, you can buy a utility from MicroLink
Technologies called MLFormat/MLDrive.  MicroLink has an 800 number:
(800) 334-9612.

Compuserv has a lot of Tandy 2000 programs and instructions (including
instructions for adding hard disks to the system) in its TRS80PRO
forum.

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

jmastel@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Joachim Astel) (03/29/91)

robert@jetsun.weitek.COM (Robert Plamondon) writes:
>The Tandy 2000 will support drives up to 32 MB directly, without patches.

Well, how do you build a hard disk into your Tandy 2000? All over the years
it was much too expensive for me to buy the original 10 MB harddisk from
Radio Shack (1000 bucks or even more). The Tandy 2000 was my freaky machine
and I am sure that I have handled much more with floppy disks on my t2k
(push in/pull out) than the average disk jockey has done here in town with
his records. ;-) All in all the Tandy 2000 did a good job for me. Uh, well,
*I* have been the (floppy) disk jockey... ;-)

And today, I use my Tandy 2000 as a terminal for my XENIX machine and bother
that booting lasts so long. In my case a cheap harddisk would probably do a
good job. So, are there some pointers how to build a harddisk into the
Tandy 2000?

BTW: I use BinkleyTerm with a Fossil-Driver under MS-DOS 2.0 (60 Hz-version).
     Are there solutions that support more than 9600 bauds via RS-232C?

	-Achim
---
# Joachim Astel, Wiesenweg 4, W-8566 Leinburg, Germany # Escorts best courts #
# dowjones@jattmp.nbg.sub.org, dowjones@jattmp.imp.com # -Dreamytime escorts #
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# AMPR: [44.130.60.20] - DL9NCQ @ DB0BOX - MSN:J.ASTEL - VERBAL: Hey, Achim! #

jmastel@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Joachim Astel) (03/29/91)

robert@jetsun.weitek.COM (Robert Plamondon) writes:
>Compuserv has a lot of Tandy 2000 programs and instructions (including
>instructions for adding hard disks to the system) in its TRS80PRO
>forum.

Well, I mean, are there any instructions *outside* CompuServ available?
Unfortunately, i do not have CompuServ-access.

	-Achim
---

robert@jetsun.weitek.COM (Robert Plamondon) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.183421.13523@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
dowjones@jattmp.imp.com writes:
>Well, how do you build a hard disk into your Tandy 2000? All over the years
>it was much too expensive for me to buy the original 10 MB harddisk from
>Radio Shack (1000 bucks or even more).

Sorry, I misunderstood the question:  I thought you wanted to add a
bigger hard drive to a system that already had one.

To add a hard drive to a Tandy 2000 that doesn't have one, you need
the 10 MB hard disk kit.  You can get one from Comp-U-Sel, a company
that sells (among other things) new and used Tandy 2000s and
accessories.  I bought a hard drive kit from them and was very
satisfied.  I paid something like $250 for it.  It's easy to install,
and comes with comprehensive instructions.  It includes a 10 MB
full-height Tandon 602 hard drive, a Tandy 2000 hard drive interface
board, the Tandy 2000 auxilary power supply, mounting hardware,
and cables.  You can call Comp-U-Sel at (817) 465-5736, or write to:

Myron Boaz
Comp-U-Sel
1206 Green Hill Dr.
Arlington, TX 76014

It's also possible to find Tandy 2000 computers and accessories at
Radio Shack stores.  Sometimes they have some stuff in the back room.
They sometimes have a listing of surplus equipment available from
other stores in the area, and can find stuff for you that way.

Good luck,

Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon