[comp.sys.tandy] Radio Shake's coco multitasking?

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (03/16/91)

	I'm fansnated.  I thought I heard that Tandy coco (6509 motorola)
multitasks.  Is this true?

	Could someone here enlighten me with the specifics of this machine?

	I would like to know how much memory the chip can address, the
processor speed, (parallel processing chips?), sound, OS, how does it
multitask/multiuser, etc.

	Please supply any informations you have about this machine.
	Thank you.
   +     AAllll tthhoossee mmoommeennttss wwiillll bbee lloosstt iinn ttiimmee,, lliikkee tteeaarrss iinn tthhee rraaiinn..   +
   +   (**) Maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu    (**) Billy - IInnnneerrTTaannggeenntt - Human1   +

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/16/91)

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

>	I'm fansnated.  I thought I heard that Tandy coco (6509 motorola)
>multitasks.  Is this true?

>	Could someone here enlighten me with the specifics of this machine?

>	I would like to know how much memory the chip can address, the
>processor speed, (parallel processing chips?), sound, OS, how does it
>multitask/multiuser, etc.

>	Please supply any informations you have about this machine.
>	Thank you.

Yes, the CoCo CAN multitask! Mine does all the time! You must have the
OS-9 Operating System for it which Tandy sells (was written by Microware)
You are little late, however, if you are interested because the CoCo
is now offically discontinued by Tandy. (Their offical stock status is
SOWG - Sold Out When Gone)

The 6809 can only address 64K directly, but with the assistance of
a co-processor chip proprietary to Tandy called a GIME. With it
the CoCo3 can address up to 1Meg. My system has 512K. The 6809
or more specifically the 68B09E runs at 1Mhz and 2Mhz. OS9 Level 2
on the CoCo3 always runs the 6809 at the 2Mhz speed. In case you
weren't aware, due to the more efficient machine language set of
instructions and the way a 6809 feteches memory and decodes
instructions, a 2 Mhz 6809 is roughly equivalent to a 6-8 Mhz
8088.

Sound on the CoCo3 is simply a single analog sound generator, more
sophisticated multi-voice sounds can be generated with an optional
piece of hardware called an Orchestra-90/CC. Synthesized speech
can even be generated with another optional piece of hardware
called a Speech Sound Pak.

With OS9 Level 2, the CoCo is a true multi-user, multi-tasking
computer. OS9 is very similar to UNIX in structure. A system conatins
processes, you can pipe the standard data paths or re-direct them
just like in UNIX, even push a process into the background. I
even have used my CoCo to act as a UUCP site (in fact I personally
know of half a dozen CoCos which are active UUCP sites, in the
official UUCP map).

Anything else you want to know?

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.164417.548@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

>	I'm fansnated.  I thought I heard that Tandy coco (6509 motorola)
>multitasks.  Is this true?
>
>	Could someone here enlighten me with the specifics of this machine?

Your refering to OS/9 for the coco.  Multi-task, yes - Discontinued - Yes.
Cheap to buy, yes if you can find it.  And 'oh boy' you put a few coco's
together in an os/9 network and if you close your eyes you think your
running single-user on a Cray!  ;-o

| Lehigh Software Systems --- (Medical Industry Software)                    |
| Van Allen and Associates -- (anything for a buck enterprises)              |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Dave Van Allen - dave@kbvan.com    uunet!kbvan!dave         CIS 73530,2463 |
| Robert Repko   - rtr@kbvan.com     uunet!kbvan!rsquare!rtr                 |
| "You'll never go forward unless you have something to look forward to"     |
|  ~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~      |

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/19/91)

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) writes:

>In article <1991Mar15.164417.548@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
[trimmed]
>Your refering to OS/9 for the coco.  Multi-task, yes - Discontinued - Yes.
>Cheap to buy, yes if you can find it.  And 'oh boy' you put a few coco's
>together in an os/9 network and if you close your eyes you think your
>running single-user on a Cray!  ;-o

Minor nit, CoCo3s are not exactly dicontinued yet (but they might as well
be!). The officla stock status is SOWG. (Sold Out When Gone).

And, while it would be neat to have an OS9 CoCo network, Microware
(the author of OS-9) never released the OS9 networking software for
the 6809 version of OS-9.

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (03/21/91)

In article <1086@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>And, while it would be neat to have an OS9 CoCo network, Microware
>(the author of OS-9) never released the OS9 networking software for
>the 6809 version of OS-9.

More accurately, nobody ever licensed this software in the U.S.  In Japan,
Fujitsu used OS-9/Net on their 6809-based FM-11 computers.  The hardware
was ARCNET based and the software was designed to take advantage of ARCNET's
capabilities.  This was all back in 1983-84 when the 6809 was king and network
hardware was expensive.

--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation         {sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) (03/21/91)

>>Your refering to OS/9 for the coco.  Multi-task, yes - Discontinued - Yes.
>>Cheap to buy, yes if you can find it.  And 'oh boy' you put a few coco's
>>together in an os/9 network and if you close your eyes you think your
>>running single-user on a Cray!  ;-o

In article <1086@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:

>Minor nit, CoCo3s are not exactly dicontinued yet (but they might as well
>be!). The officla stock status is SOWG. (Sold Out When Gone).

OS/9 has been disco for over 2 years, that is what I was refering to. Heck
even with the coco's SOWG that doesn't mean they won't be around for a
loooooooooong time! They have a _bunch_ of them.

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/25/91)

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) writes:

>OS/9 has been disco for over 2 years, that is what I was refering to. Heck
>even with the coco's SOWG that doesn't mean they won't be around for a
>loooooooooong time! They have a _bunch_ of them.

What I heard was that Microware dropped support for 6809 OS-9 about
a year ago. When that happened, Tandy quit manufacturing new kits,
but just as there are still CoCo's in some stores, there are some
OS-9 kits still left also. And the availability of CoCo3 is purely
regional. In my area, most all stores are almost sold out. My favorite
store only has ONE left!

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) (03/27/91)

In article <1100@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:

>What I heard was that Microware dropped support for 6809 OS-9 about
>a year ago. When that happened, Tandy quit manufacturing new kits,
>but just as there are still CoCo's in some stores, there are some
>OS-9 kits still left also. And the availability of CoCo3 is purely
>regional. In my area, most all stores are almost sold out. My favorite
>store only has ONE left!

Jack, any good store manager would not order anything in quantity that
didn't sell.  The coco's (as a whole, nation wide) have not been strong
for over two years.  I left the company about 6 months ago after running
a RSCC for way toooo long, I have it on good sources that there are more
coco3's in the regional warehouses than Carter has little pills.

On your point about the availability of OS-9, you right...they are still
out there but I belive they are off the deck. So you can get them real
cheap. RS will move stock from a heavy regional warehouse to a lighter
stocked warehouse when necessary.  Then, they will drop ship x number
of the over stock items to the stores on purpose, and for good reason
RS can't sell anything to you or me from a warehouse?.  You may find
your favorite store _back_ in stock real soon. ;-)  It's a great time
to buy coco's and x-ses-or-ee's right now cause of the price.

   Dave Van Allen

| Lehigh Software Systems --- (Medical Industry Software and Hardware)       |
| Van Allen and Associates -- (anything for a buck enterprises)              |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Dave Van Allen - dave@kbvan.com    =internet    ------------------------   |
|                  uunet!kbvan!dave  =uucp       |  This SPACE for SALE   |  |
|                  CIS 73530,2463    =CompuServe  ------------------------   |

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/28/91)

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) writes:

>Jack, any good store manager would not order anything in quantity that
>didn't sell.  The coco's (as a whole, nation wide) have not been strong
>for over two years.

Umm, the name is Zack, not Jack. The store I mentioned that had one
CoCo3 left had a dozen of them a year ago, and he was afraid he waw
going to get stuck with some of them. He was obviously wrong!

>I left the company about 6 months ago after running
>a RSCC for way toooo long, I have it on good sources that there are more
>coco3's in the regional warehouses than Carter has little pills.

I have heard similar rumours, but this store manager tells me that
OUR regional warehouse has few.

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (04/03/91)

In article <1086@uncw.UUCP>, session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
> dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) writes:
>
> >In article <1991Mar15.164417.548@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
> [trimmed]
> >Your refering to OS/9 for the coco.  Multi-task, yes - Discontinued - Yes.
> >Cheap to buy, yes if you can find it.  And 'oh boy' you put a few coco's
> >together in an os/9 network and if you close your eyes you think your
> >running single-user on a Cray!  ;-o
>
> Minor nit, CoCo3s are not exactly dicontinued yet (but they might as well
> be!). The officla stock status is SOWG. (Sold Out When Gone).
>
> And, while it would be neat to have an OS9 CoCo network, Microware
> (the author of OS-9) never released the OS9 networking software for
> the 6809 version of OS-9.

Doesn't mean that networking will not happen... you have serial port
communication which can be automated in script/binary files and
a few people playing around with parallel communications via extra
PIA ports...

		Dave Halko
--
          ___                                          _____          |
 ____    |+++|                                ____    |+++++|         |T
-----(__)--|       \__\/           _(__)_  \ -----------------------  |  F E
 |  _/\_| |  M O O - M O O  Vice  |__\/\ /| |        /oo| - Bleaurgh! |P   T
     / /\ \  \___/                    \___/     Moravian College      |W K Y
    / /  \ \                                    Bethlehem, PA         |A
    ~~~   ~~~                                   halkoD@moravian.edu   |S