[comp.sys.tandy] Trash-80 model 100

n8643884@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (peter c. vollan) (04/19/91)

    ccc_spt@waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) writes:

>Hey, what does DIR/ACP switch do?

DIRect modem or Accoustic CouPlers. Radio Shuck lists Accoustic Couplers at
about $100. Hey, gang, don't they come any cheaper?!

(Now, this is from a different, more recent message.)
>	One more time, could someone (in the meantime) please post the
>	pinouts of the Cassette and Phone Jacks, and (beg grovel) what
>	the options on the STAT command are.  (You know, 1st digit is
>	Modem/Speed 1=?, M=?, 2=? etc)

>He who shouts loudest has the floor.

Or he who keeps repeating himself :-]. Do you really need pinouts?
Operating the phone cord is quite simple. Plug into the Telephone
port, the brown wire goes to the wall, the silver wire goes to the
telephone. The wire is about 6 bucks. Set Stat M8N1E, 20, ORIG and
DIR. Call the number manually, hit Term when you get carrier.

Now to explain what all this means. The stat line looks like this.
Stat M8N1E, 20

"M" indicates the internal modem, which is 300 bps only. Other settings are
speeds for data transfers, or external modeming, through the RS-232 cable.

"8N1" represents those standard comm settings which I won't explain now.
Mainframes are often 7E1, but just about everything is 8N1. If this is set
wrong, you'll connect and see writing, but the wrong characters.

Next is an E or D, which is Enable or Disable handshake. I don't really
understand this one; perhaps someone can fill us in.

The number, 10 or 20, is the speed of the autodialer, which is rotary, and I
hardly ever use it.

ANS/ORIG should be on ORIG, unless you're running a BBS or doing something
just as strange.

The "Label" key toggles the visible function key explanations. I always
suppress them once I get connected, as they waste a line, but it's good to
call them back to remind you how to download or something.

I'll post info about the cassette interface later when I'm sure I'll get it
right.

Now for some questions of my own:
The minibbs manual at the ftp site mentions a auto-answer curcuit. Does anyone
know how to make it? Also, what possible use could software to speed up the
internal modem to 450 bps be? Am I missing something?

 -------+-------

    ----+----

 -------+-------
	|   deprogram, pob 4542 Seattle WA 98104
<><<><<><><><<><><>>><><<<><><><<><><>>><><><><><><><>>><><><><><><><>><><<><<>
"Although Viacom's systems do not use this capability, federal law requires us
to inform you that two-way interactive cable systems can be used to collect
information from customers only if it is necessary to render cable and other
services to the customer, or if it is used to detect unauthorized reception of
cable signals, or if the customer specifically consents to such collection."

cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.005102.10635@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu>, n8643884@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (peter c. vollan) writes:
>"M" indicates the internal modem, which is 300 bps only. Other settings are
>speeds for data transfers, or external modeming, through the RS-232 cable.

I have a feeling the original poster was from New Zealand.  Be aware that the internal modem is built for the American market, and uses the BELL standard tones, rather than the international ones that everyone else uses.

>Next is an E or D, which is Enable or Disable handshake. I don't really
>understand this one; perhaps someone can fill us in.

If set to D, then data will pass inwards without having CTRL/S and CTRL/Q filtered out by the RS-232C driver code, and if the buffer fills, nothing is done about it.

If set to E, then the driver will recognise incoming CTRL/S and CTRL/Q characters as transmission stop/start characters, and will not give them to the calling program (i.e. BASIC or TELCOM).  Also, (and here's the real neat thing), if the incoming buffer reaches around 75% usage, the driver transmits a CTRL/S character to the remote machine.  If it has done this, it won't transmit a CTRL/Q until the buffer usage drops to around zero.  [The actual percentages are coded into the ROM, and are probably not 75%

 and 0%, but something close to it... if you want to know the exact values I could look them up in my listing.]  The incoming RS-232 buffer is roughly 64 characters long, which is more than one line on the LCD screen.  The LCD is so slow in scrolling that it needs this buffer.

Basically, if you want to transfer stuff without translation and you are sure that the incoming buffer will not overrun, or if the remote machine gives you CTRL/S and CTRL/Q characters without reason, use D.

If you are using the Tandy 10x to talk to a larger machine, check to see if it responds to CTRL/S and CTRL/Q as stop/start requests, and if it does, then it is probably safe to use E instead.

Anotehr small point; if you type CTRL/Q in TELCOM when in E mode, a CTRL/Q is transmitted anyway.

>The number, 10 or 20, is the speed of the autodialer, which is rotary, and I
>hardly ever use it.

International models do not accept this parameter.

>Also, what possible use could software to speed up the
>internal modem to 450 bps be? Am I missing something?

Well, let's just say that I sped my 102's RS-232 up to 30,000 baud yesterday with no ill effects in order to control a MIDI synthesiser.  The theoretical maximum is 150,000 baud; but I can't vouch for how fast a machine coded routine could run to produce data.

As for 450 bps; dunno...
--
James Cameron
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) P/L