[comp.sys.tandy] Hires Graphics on Model III/II/12/16/6000 under TRS-DOS or XENIX

michaele@sco.COM (Michael East) (04/23/91)

Has anybody done any significant work with the 640X240 graphics board
under XENIX or TRS-DOS? I have worked with it quite extensively and
was just wondering if anybody else had. Even Model III, as they are
essentially the same board.

There must be somebody else out there....<sounds of tumbleweeds>......

Ok, even if your work is INsignificant ;-)

--- Michael B. East                      Senior Technical Support
    #include <std.disclaimer>            SCO Canada, Inc.    (416) 922-1937

    {sco,scocan}!michaele or michaele@sco.com	Work
    uunet!attcan!{utzoo,lsuc}!tls!mbeast	Home

nanook@eskimo.celestial.com (Robert Dinse) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr22.211316.27985@sco.COM>, michaele@sco.COM (Michael East) writes:
> Has anybody done any significant work with the 640X240 graphics board
> under XENIX or TRS-DOS? I have worked with it quite extensively and
> was just wondering if anybody else had. Even Model III, as they are
> essentially the same board.

     A local user group (TUG) that has since disbanded designed a "pix"
graphic picture format that was for single plane monochrome graphics
images.

     I wrote a program which runs under Xenix 3.2.x and displays a pix
file on the screen. Really dissappointing actually since most of the pix
images were created on even lower resolution machines, and 640x240 isn't
real exciting as is.

     But, I had to take my graphics card out to make room for a third
serial port card. So I haven't done anything with it for a while.

     I did discover some things about it though, there is a mode where
the write returns immediately that they recommend not using unless you
do double-buffering. I used it, found it sped things up quite a bit, and
never had anything strange happen like the documentation suggested might.
But the speed is dissappointing no matter what. Even if you tell it to go
ahead and write video memory anytime and put up with mass glitches in the
monitor it's still too slow.