[comp.sys.tandy] More Model 100 Problems...

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B Streeter) (04/30/91)

Some of you may recall that I had asked for help diagnosing a problem
with my recently-acquired Model 100:

In article <1991Apr22.170558.9330@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B Streeter) writes:
>...when it
>is turned on, most of the time, the display goes all black.
>Occasionally, however, when it is turned on, the display shows the
>menu as it should, but then after from 1-5 seconds, the display goes
>back to being all black and remains that way.  The menu is more likely
>to appear for 1-5 seconds if the "memory switch" was turned off/on as
>well.

Well, many suggested that it may be a problem with the internal Ni-Cd
battery used to maintain the memory.  I opened up the machine, found
that the connection with the Ni-Cd battery seemed to be loose, and
made it firm.

However, now, the problem has returned.  My guess is that the loose
connection was only aggravating the real problem -- a dying battery.
However, I'm not sure how to check or verify that the battery really
is the problem.  I can open the M100 and measure the voltage across
the battery, but what should I expect to read?  I assume readings
should be performed both when the machine is off (memory on) and when
the machine is on (memory on) to check both charging and discharging
of the battery.  What should I expect to find as voltages?

Or, is it possible that the problem isn't really with the Ni-Cd
battery?  Any other suggestions?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter