[comp.sys.tandy] HARD DRIVE FOR 1000-HX

Paul_Morrison@mindlink.bc.ca (Paul Morrison) (05/01/91)

The local Radio Shack store says that my 1000-hx would not
support a hard drive but the local repair shop says they
could install one.  Can this be done? What are the risks?

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (05/04/91)

Paul_Morrison@mindlink.bc.ca (Paul Morrison) writes:

> The local Radio Shack store says that my 1000-hx would not
> support a hard drive but the local repair shop says they
> could install one.  Can this be done? What are the risks?

I have seen it done one time here.  Aparently, the main problem is that the
HX expansion connectors are a wierd settup of pins that need to have an
adaptor handmade to fit the controler card edge connector.  If I remember
right, the machine in question later came back with a burned up power supply
so who can tell?

--
Jack Wiggins       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: jackw@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

U51773@uicvm.uic.edu (tom mckibben 2) (05/04/91)

In article <cTqe21w161w@nstar.rn.com>, jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) says:

>Paul_Morrison@mindlink.bc.ca (Paul Morrison) writes:
>
>> The local Radio Shack store says that my 1000-hx would not
>> support a hard drive but the local repair shop says they
>> could install one.  Can this be done? What are the risks?

Yes it can indeed be done. The best place to get information on techniques and
suppliers is the Tandy support magazine PCM. Here are a couple of companies
have hard drives for the hx:

DCS Industries 5265 Hebbardsville Rd. Athens Ohio 45701
Computer Peripherals Direct 605 9th St. Pritchard Penthouse Huntington
 West Virginia 25701

There are a number of others so find a copy of the magazine for more details.

Good Luck!

thomas mckibben 2                      | 1. One thing at a time.
university of illinois at chicago      | 2. First things first.
Crispy: u51773@uicvm                   | 3. Know what you're doing.
Extra Crispy: u51773@uicvm.cc.uic.edu  | 4. Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

<RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/05/91)

Last night I picked up a copy of PCM Mag at the newstand. There's an ad
from Aerocomp, out of texas, in which they are advertising a hard drive
for ex/hx, together with a board that doesn't hang. I used to deal with
them back in my trs80 days, and am predisposd to believe what they say
about their products. Check 'em out.
Bobm