[comp.sys.tandy] GIF Viewers

greg@engr.uky.edu (Greg Henderson) (03/23/88)

Does anyone have a viewer for Gif pictures.

Preferably for the Coco III...

The prefered language would be 6809 Assembly
and if necessary, BASIC

*I know.. BASIC is slow.. but well it would be re-wriiteable*

Thanks in advance
Greg Henderson

--
 The secret of my success is that at an early age I discovered I was not God.
                   -\-Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.-/-

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (03/24/88)

In article <2145@ukecc.engr.uky.edu>, greg@engr.uky.edu (Greg Henderson) writes:
> Does anyone have a viewer for Gif pictures.
> Preferably for the Coco III...

A uuencoded ARC file for a GIF viewer written in Pascal was posted to one of
the IBMoid groups recently.  It's for EGA hardware, whatever that is, but the
basic principles should be there.  Aside from that, I don't know whether or
when any GIF source code will appear, because CIS requires that, to become
an official GIF developer, you have to sign a form that says you will not
release any source code.  CIS claims that they are doing this so that programs
claiming to do GIF but not meeting their standards won't appear.

>>BEGIN PURELY PERSONAL OPINION<<
This policy conflicts with their other stated desire (i.e. that GIF become
a widespread standard for encoding graphics images), and I find it short-
sighted, to say the least.  I wish they'd considered the history of Kermit
and the way in which Donald Knuth is protecting the name TeX.
>>END PURELY PERSONAL OPINION<<

I had an exchange or two with CIS folks on the PICS forum, and they said
that one could write a GIF program purely from their documentation of the
standard and release source.  (Not being up on legal issues, I don't know
whether there's anything they *could* do in that case.)

		James Jones

7GMADISO@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (03/27/88)

Date: 24 March 1988, 14:55:57 PST
From: 7GMADISO at POMONA
To:   COMP-SYS-TANDY at VU-VLSI

If anyone has the BASIC (or C, or Z-80 ASM) source to a GIF decoder, I'd love
to see it so I can write a decoder for my Model 4 w/HiRes board.  I have the
specification, but like most of the stuff written by the CI$ techies, it's
clear as mud.  (For those of you who don't know, GIF is actually proprietary
to CI$; a royal pain, since they only assist developers who promise to upload
the fruits of their labours only to... you guessed it, CI$.)

                    ---- George Madison

--------------------
''Your logic is impeccable, Captain; we are in grave danger.''
                           -- Mr. Spock ('The Changeling')

''Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
 Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.''
                           -- Groucho Marx

''Shut off that light, Stella; I won't be looked at in this
  merciless glare!''
                           -- Donald (from 'Brothers')
BITNET: 7gmadiso@pomona
UUCP:   psuvax1!pomona.bitnet!7gmadiso

fagan@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Fagan) (06/12/91)

	I have a Tandy SL/2 and I was wondering if anyone out there knew
a site where I could pick up a GIF viewer that had an option for TGA graphics?
I have not been able to find one so far, and CGA GIFs are absolutely horrid.
	Thanks in advance,
Dave Fagan