[comp.sys.tandy] m-100

cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) (06/15/91)

I just recieved a model 100. What upgrades should I do? Where is the
archive? How can I get a new space bar( this one works, but is broken
and wobbles on the left side)? What are these things worth today? Does anyone
know of a typing tutor or morse code tutor for it? How long should the
batteries last?
Thanks for any info you guys send my way!

--
cheselka@cactus.org
cs.utexas!cactus.org!cheselka

tandy@uiuc.edu (Jeff Cortez) (06/17/91)

It has been a while since I posted info on the archive so here goes.

Jeff Cortez
Maintainer of the Tandy 100 Archives
tandy@uiuc.edu

p.s.  I am home for summer break so please expect a week or so response lagtime.(I can't afford that long-distance charge very often :-))

---- Pre-recorded message ----

The Tandy100 archives are a collection of files for the Tandy
Model 100/102/200 and compatibles.  These files are accessible
via either anonymous ftp or email from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu in the /tandy
directory.  In this directory is a file called "filelist" which contains
a complete listing of all the files contained in the archives.  Below
I have contained a copy of a sample ftp and email session.  If you
need any help please email me with your question and I will try
to help you in any way I can.  Please give me a couple of days to
respond since I only work three days a week.

Thanks,
Jeff Cortez
tandy@uiuc.edu

Sample ftp session:

% ftp ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Connected to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu.
220 ux1.cso.uiuc.edu FTP server (Version 5.60) awaits your command
Name (ux1.cso.uiuc.edu:cortez): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd tandy
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> get filelist
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for filelist (6775 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
6775 bytes received in 0.02 seconds (3.3e+02 Kbytes/s)
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

Sample email session:

% mail bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject:
FTP ux1.cso.uiuc.edu UUENCODE
USER anonymous
CD /tandy
ASCII
GET filelist filelist
QUIT

To get more information on the email server email the server
with only the word HELP in the body of the letter.
--

tswift@well.sf.ca.us (Theodore John Swift) (06/23/91)

>I just recieved a model 100.

Congratulations.  It's a pretty nifty machine for the size and price.

>What upgrades should I do?

That depends on what you want to do.  You can install additional RAM memory
to the basic system, up to a max of 32K (seems small by today's standards,
but you can do a lot with the M100).  The memory may already be installed.
If you want to do much programming, there are some option ROMs with debuggers,
utilites for renumbering, formatting, and generally tidying up BASIC programs,
etc.  There are ROMs with better word processors, spreadsheets, database
applications, etc.

>Where is the archive?

There are a few.  One is on the net, but I've forgotten the exact address.
He'll pipe up, though.  Another is a free BBS in Pleasant Hill, CA, run by
Club 100.  Some files there are available free- a larger library is
available after you pay a $12 annual support fee.  Voice (415) 932-8856;
BBS (415) 939-1246; Fax (415) 937-5039.  Club 100 sells all sorts of upgrades,
add-ons, and other M100, M102, T200 related stuff, as well as posting other
folk's stuff for sale or wanted.  Their address is PO Box 23438,
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523.
  You may also want to track down a copy (your local Radio Shack probably
has some copies) of "Portable 100", a magazine which covers the M100 family.
They're: Portable Computing International Corporation,  PO Box 428,
Peterborough, NH 03458-0428  (603) 924-9455.

>How can I get a new space bar( this one works, but is broken and wobbles
>on the left side

Are you sure it's broken, or did it just pop loose from the stabilizing bar
underneath?  The key contacts are under the right end of the space bar, and
there's a metal "stabilizer bar" under the left end that pops into a slotted
socket.  If that doesn't work, the folks at Rat Shack can order any part
you need...you just need to be able to give them the part number, which may
be nontrivial.  If you're interested in hardware hacking, you can order the
Service Manual, which would give you all the part numbers you'll ever want,
not to mention schematics, pinouts, theory of operation, service proceedures,
etc.  It costs about $15 and is lots of fun to browse through (but then, I'm
interested in the hardware as well as the software).

>What are these things worth today?

From $5 at unsuspecting garage sales to about $300 for a new M102 in the
store.  I bought mine used for about $86, which I consider to be a steal.
Several mail order places sell M100s for around $240.  Club 100 has adds for
several, but it's hard to determine the price of the M100 by itself, since
it's often sold with lots of add-ons and accessories.  Maybe $150.

>Does anyone know of a typing tutor or morse code tutor for it?

Yes, I downloaded a morse code program from Club 100 a while ago.  I'll see
if it's around.  I think they also have a typing tutor.  If I find them, I'll
posting them.

>How long should the batteries last?

The manual says about 20 hours:  Five days at 4 hours/day, 20 days at 1hr/day.
From my limited experience, this seems about right, though I haven't kept
rigorous notes on when I've installed batteries, how long I've used it, etc.
You can buy a 6 Volt battery eliminator at Rat Shack or several other places
for a few bucks.  If you plan to use it more than occasionally, it may be
cheaper and more ecotopian to buy four NiCad AA's and a charger.  The only
problem is that NiCads have a slightly lower full-up voltage than carbon-zinc
batteries, so the "low battery" light comes on pretty quick.  The Tandy 200
has a minor ciruit modification to convert the power supply to be happy with
NiCads.  You'd have to check the Model 100 Service Manual to see if there's
a similar arrangement on the M100.  They'll work just fine with NiCads (there
is no danger of damage), but you get a low battery indication very frequently.
--
Ted Swift tswift@well.sf.ca.us