[comp.sys.tandy] speeding up Tandy 1000TL ?

tselling@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Teresa Selling) (06/22/91)

I have a Tandy 1000TL that runs at 8 Mz.  I know the new Tandy 1000TL/3
runs at 10 Mhz.  I'd like to get mine running at that speed if possible.
Has anyone tried this?  It seems Tandy would have made a rather easy change
if possible.  But, of course, most Rad Shack employees know next to nothing
about the computers.  I believe the 1000TL uses a clock chip rather than a
crystal, can this be replaced?  Also does anyone know if Tandy updates the
Rom chips with dos and deskmate on it?  It would be nice to have dos 5.0
on a rom chip.

--
Teresa Selling, IUSB, Indiana.

U51773@uicvm.uic.edu (tom mckibben 2) (06/22/91)

According to the DCS publication "Upgrading Your Tandy", there is no way you
can get your 1000TL up to the 10MHz speed of the TL/3. NEC had planned to
introduce a faster replacement chip for the 80286 called the V50 but it was
never marketed due to legal pressure from Intel. Also there are no 386 or 486
replacement or accelerator boards for the 1000TL.

You can get a slight speed increase by bringing the memory up to 768K. The 128K
above 640K is used exclusively as video memory so that your programs don't have
to compete with the video which normally uses the lower 128K if your memory is
below 640K. You can also get a little more speed by adding a math coprocessor,
a fast hard drive, and disk caching software.

For more information about Tandy computers I'd suggest checking out the DCS or
similar books about upgrading the 1000 series and PCM magazine if for no other
reason than to see what kind of Tandy compatible add ons exist in the market.

Finally, at present there are no upgrade DOS/Deskmate EEPROM that you can buy.
If you want to upgrade your DOS you'll just have to boot up from disk instead
of the ROM.

I hope this has been helpful. :)

tom

thomas mckibben 2                      | 1. One thing at a time.
university of illinois at chicago      | 2. First things first.
Crispy: u51773@uicvm                   | 3. Know what you're doing.
Extra Crispy: u51773@uicvm.cc.uic.edu  | 4. Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) (06/24/91)

In article <91173.071242U51773@uicvm.uic.edu> tom mckibben 2 <U51773@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
>According to the DCS publication "Upgrading Your Tandy", there is no way you
>can get your 1000TL up to the 10MHz speed of the TL/3. NEC had planned to
>introduce a faster replacement chip for the 80286 called the V50 but it was
>never marketed due to legal pressure from Intel. Also there are no 386 or 486
>replacement or accelerator boards for the 1000TL.
>
>You can get a slight speed increase by bringing the memory up to 768K. The 128K
>above 640K is used exclusively as video memory so that your programs don't have
>to compete with the video which normally uses the lower 128K if your memory is
>below 640K. You can also get a little more speed by adding a math coprocessor,
>a fast hard drive, and disk caching software.
>
>For more information about Tandy computers I'd suggest checking out the DCS or
>similar books about upgrading the 1000 series and PCM magazine if for no other
>reason than to see what kind of Tandy compatible add ons exist in the market.
>
>Finally, at present there are no upgrade DOS/Deskmate EEPROM that you can buy.
>If you want to upgrade your DOS you'll just have to boot up from disk instead
>of the ROM.
>
>I hope this has been helpful. :)
>
>tom
>
>thomas mckibben 2                      | 1. One thing at a time.
>university of illinois at chicago      | 2. First things first.
>Crispy: u51773@uicvm                   | 3. Know what you're doing.
>Extra Crispy: u51773@uicvm.cc.uic.edu  | 4. Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

You can get a SOTA Express386. Thier number is 1-800-933-7682. People on
Comu$erve's Tandy forum have had success with this product.

gary

hamilton@convex.com (Ken Hamilton) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun24.023116.4091@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) writes:

>You can get a SOTA Express386. Thier number is 1-800-933-7682. People on
>Comu$erve's Tandy forum have had success with this product.
>

>gary

I called this 800 number and they said their product was only for the
1000 SL upgrade, NOT for the 1000 TL upgrade.

Ken Hamilton

bsb2u@hagar1.acc.Virginia.EDU (Brian Samuel Bevins) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.185806.17626@convex.com> hamilton@convex.com (Ken Hamilton) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.023116.4091@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) writes:
>>
>>You can get a SOTA Express386. Thier number is 1-800-933-7682. People on
>>Comu$erve's Tandy forum have had success with this product.
>>

>>gary
>
>I called this 800 number and they said their product was only for the
>1000 SL upgrade, NOT for the 1000 TL upgrade.
>
>Ken Hamilton

I called the 800 number and they told me flatly that their accelerator
cards were compatible only with the Tandy 1200 and *NO* other Tandy
machines.

Anybody know what gives?

Brian Bevins
bsb2u@virginia.edu

garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.185806.17626@convex.com> hamilton@convex.com (Ken Hamilton) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.023116.4091@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) writes:
>>
>>You can get a SOTA Express386. Thier number is 1-800-933-7682. People on
>>Comu$erve's Tandy forum have had success with this product.
>>

>>gary
>
>I called this 800 number and they said their product was only for the
>1000 SL upgrade, NOT for the 1000 TL upgrade.
>
>Ken Hamilton

From Compuserve.com  TANDYPRO forum

-----------------------------

#: 41935 S5/T1000/1400/3000/4K
    28-May-91  21:57:21
Sb: #386SX for T1K!
Fm: Ron De Iso 72300,3645
To: All

Here's some interesting news. The new SOTA 386/Express will work in the 286
based T1K's (see this month's PC Computing).I called SOTA (408-745-1111) and
spoke with a tech who said it would work in a TL but it's a tight squeeze and
the cable adapter is suggested. The good news is that it doesn't take up a
slot. The bad news is that it costs almost as much as a new computer. But, if
you want speed (300% increase) for your stodgey 8 MHz T1K, it looks like the
only game in town right now. I just may go for it! For you T3K owners, the
Microway FastCache SX looks neat!

gary