[comp.sys.hp] HP LaserJet Plus Memory: Error 20

niland@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Bob Niland ) (11/09/86)

re: "how to correct an ERROR 20 on an HP LaserJet Plus?"

The standard LaserJet (2686A, no Option) has 64 Kbytes of RAM which is
enough for a full page of graphics at 75 dots per inch, 1/4 page at 150 dpi
and 1/16 page at 300 dpi.

The LaserJet Plus (2686D or 2686A Option 200, 210 or 300) has 512 Kbytes of
RAM, which is enough for a full page of graphics at 150 dpi, but only about
1/2 page at 300 dpi.

The printer ought to have at least 1 megabyte to do a full page at 300 dpi.
I have heard that there are power supply and temperature problems with
simply increasing the RAM in the current design of the printer controller.
The HP division responsible for the LaserJet is well aware of the need for
more RAM in certain applications and is investigating possible solutions.

The RAM constraints are generally not a limitation in pure text applications
and limited mixed text/graphics.  In fact, I just bought an LJ+ for exactly
this kind of work.

Bob Niland             hpu*!hpfcse!rjn             [ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn

oehlrich@fauern.UUCP (11/11/86)

You are right!
The HP-Laserjet plus has not enough memory for a whole
page of hires grafix!
You have no chance to print a whole page and there is no
additional memory available (as far as I know) form HP.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/11/86)

In article <1030003@hpfcms.HP.COM> niland@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Bob Niland ) writes:
> The standard LaserJet (2686A, no Option) has 64 Kbytes of RAM which is
> enough for a full page of graphics at 75 dots per inch, 1/4 page at 150
> dpi and 1/16 page at 300 dpi. [...]  The printer ought to have at least 1
> megabyte to do a full page at 300 dpi.  I have heard that there are power
> supply and temperature problems with simply increasing the RAM in the
> current design [...]

	The best solution to "Error 20" is to buy an Apple LaserWriter.
It's got a full Meg of RAM (more?) and you can indeed send it a full page
bit-map at 300 dpi.  We regularly use ours to print 512 x 512 x 8-bit
images that take up about a 7-inch square area of the page, with random
text on the rest of the page.  The LW also talks PostScript, which is worth
more than you can understand until you're actually used it.

	Of course, the LW costs more than the LJ (about $4k compared to
about $2.5k?).  You get what you pay for.  Disclaimer: other than being a
satisfied customer, I have no connection with Apple.  Come to think of it,
I'm a satisfied customer of HP too, I just don't buy laser printers from
them.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell unix without deoxyribonucleic!"

niland@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Bob Niland ) (11/11/86)

re:  LaserJet ERROR 20

> The HP division responsible for the LaserJet is well aware of the need for
> more RAM in certain applications and is investigating possible solutions.

Hmmm, sooner than I thought.  Available November 01, 1986, is an upgrade
kit.  Here's some info:

HP26054A    $2495.00 U.S. list     first shipments expected 15 Dec 86

Adds 2 Mbytes of RAM, LaserJet+ features and Centronics/RS-232C interface to
2686A LaserJet, 2686A#200,210,300 LaserJet+ or 2686D LaserJet/500.

If you already have an LJ+ or LJ/500, this board esssentially replaces the
512 Kbyte RAM with 2 Mbyte.  The other features you already have.

Bob Niland             hpu*!hpfcse!rjn             [ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn

kam@hp-pcd.UUCP (kam) (11/12/86)

The LaserJet is limited to about half a page in 300x300 mode.  Error
20 is a Memory Overflow error.  You can use 150x150 dpi and get a full
page.

Keith Marchington
HP Corvallis Oregon