[comp.sys.hp] BIDIRECTIONAL UUCP

mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) (12/05/86)

We are going to be setting up numerous modems on HP 840s for extensive UUCP
communications (probably 2400 baud or higher).  Since HP does not yet have
HDB UUCP and we never had much luck with Hayes on machines that *did* have
HDB UUCP, we are up in the air about what modems to use.

Does anyone know about how non-HDB UUCP can be set up to operate with
a bidirectional device (i.e. one modem can either call out or recieve an
incoming call without user intervention), and, if so, what modem is well
suited for this?

How about you HP people?  What have you been doing with your modems?  Have
you gotten bidirectional operation?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  Please email.

Thanks in advance.
|     Mark Steven Jeghers         ECHOMPGULP - process has eaten it          |
| cryptography, terrorist, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
| Cogent Software Solutions can not be held responsible for anything said    |
| by the above person since they have no control over him in the first place |

bob@ahxenix.UUCP (12/07/86)

In article <89@cogent.UUCP>, mark@cogent.UUCP writes:

> Does anyone know about how non-HDB UUCP can be set up to operate with
> a bidirectional device (i.e. one modem can either call out or recieve an
> incoming call without user intervention), and, if so, what modem is well
> suited for this?

I'm not familar with HP, but I can describe how I resolved your problem
on my IBM XT at home running SCO Xenix Vr2.

The first thing I did was to change the field in the L.sys file for permitted
times to call to NEVER.  With this mode set, all uucp transactions are
spooled.

I then leave port tty1A enabled for incoming calls.  When I want to dial out,
I have cron call a script to place the calls for me.  The script will check
to see if the port is in use.  You can then determine how to resolve this
situation.  The next action if the port is free is to disable the port.
Then start uucico to call whatever systems you choose.  The final item
is to enable the port.

--
Bob Leffler  -  bob@ahxenix.REL.COM

  ...!ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob